BUMC Honors Tom Moore, MD

On Monday, April 23, faculty, staff, students, family and friends gathered to honor Tom Moore, MD, for his 17 years of service to Boston University.

Dr. Moore will be stepping down from his roles as BUMC Associate Provost and Executive Director of the Office of Human Research on July 1, but will continue to work on important projects, including serving as chair of the Task Force for LCME reaccreditation

The two-part recognition event held in Hiebert Lounge began with a presentation, “A DASH Diet Revival (and Other Implications of the New Blood Pressure Guidelines)” with Aram Chobanian, MD, BU President Emeritus, BUMC Provost Emeritus, and BUSM Dean Emeritus, and Larry Appel, MD, MPH, Appel, Professor of Medicine at Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Appel was a collaborator with Dr. Moore in the development of the DASH diet. In his lecture, he highlighted the importance of the eating patterns that have been shown to lower blood pressure.

Following the discussion, friends, family and colleagues shared stories, highlighting humorous and memorable moments involving Dr. Moore.

BUMC Provost and BUSM Dean Karen Antman, MD, thanked Dr. Moore for his work. “We appreciate your candor, your level-headed leadership, and your very real statesman-like skills for negotiating differences.”

Gordon Williams, MD, a professor of Medicine and Endocrinology at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, shared fond memories of time spent at the Brigham together.

Dr. Chobanian recalled, “He never said ‘no.’ He was always willing to work for the total good of the institution.”

Dr. Moore’s children also shared remarks. Son Ryan Moore said, “I have to come to seek his advice so regularly that it has become second nature to me, whether it be advice on mortgages or grilling steak … I probably should have said asparagus or something!” Daughter Meghan Murphy, who helped create an online program (with other BU colleagues) to teach the DASH diet, explained how she developed an entirely new relationship with her father as a social peer. “I’m very lucky to love my job while working with someone I love.”

Dr. Moore humbly wrapped up the ceremony. “There wouldn’t be nearly enough time to thank all the people I want to. I am blessed and grateful for the wonderful career I’ve had at BU.”

View photos from the event on Facebook.