- Title Instructor
- Education PhD, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- Office 670 Albany Street, Room 504
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area of Interest Glycobiology, Proteomics, Mass Spectrometry, Cancer, neurological diseases
My academic training and research expertise have provided me with an excellent background in chemistry and biochemistry. My research interest involves the identification and characterization of biomolecules such as proteins and glycans using mass spectrometry techniques and utilizing this information to understand biomolecular deregulation in disease models. I have received guidance from international-leaders in glycobiology, mass-spectrometry, and cancer biology, which enabled me to develop expertise covering many bio-analytical techniques, most importantly advanced mass-spectrometry to study glycoconjugates in disease models such as cancer and neurodegenerative disorders. I have ample hands-on experience in modern molecular and cellular techniques.
I forayed into colorectal cancer (CRC) research during my doctoral studies at Macquarie University (MQ) under the primary supervision of Dr. Morten Thaysen-Andersen, an internationally recognized researcher in Glycobiology. During my Ph.D., I became devoted to make an impact in the field of cancer, I developed a wide range of expertise to investigate colorectal cancer cell lines and patient tissue samples using various mass spectrometry proteomics and glycomics.
After my Ph.D., I was offered a postdoctoral research fellowship at Boston University (BU), MA, with Prof. Joseph Zaia, an internationally acclaimed leader in mass spectrometry (MS) and Glycoscience. Currently I am an Instructor in Prof. Zaia’s lab. At BU, I have learned (and further developed) MS-based techniques of proteoglycans (PGs) and glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) and applied these techniques to disease models in neurodegeneration including Schizophrenia and Alzheimer’s disease as evidenced by my recent publications. My long-term career objective is to establish an analytical glycobiology research group with a focus on unraveling the molecular mechanisms in disease models.
- Muraoka S*, DeLeo AM*, Sethi MK*, Yukawa K, Yang Z, Ko J, Hogan JD, A-Daley S, Ruan Z, You Y, Wang YK, Ikezu S, Xia W, Gorantla S, Gendelman HE, Issadore D, Zaia J, Ikezu T. Proteomic Profiling and Biological Characterization of Extracellular Vesicles Isolated from Human Alzheimer’s Disease Brain Tissues. Alzheimer’s and Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer’s Association. (*CO-FIRST AUTHOR) (Accepted). (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/733477v2.full)
- Raghunathan R, Sethi MK, Zaia J: On-slide tissue digestion for mass spectrometry based glycomic and proteomic profiling. MethodsX. Oct 2019. 31660297
- Raghunathan R, Sethi MK, Klein JA, Zaia J. Proteomics, glycomics, and glycoproteomics of matrisome molecules. Mol Cell Proteomics. Aug 2019, Review. 31471497
- Chatterjee S, Lee LY, Kawahara R, Abrahams JL, Adamczyk B, Anugraham M, Ashwood C, Sumer-Bayraktar Z, Briggs MT, Chik JHL, Everest-Dass A, Förster S, Hinneburg H, Leite KRM, Loke I, Möginger U, Moh ESX, Nakano M, Recuero S, Sethi MK, Srougi M, Stavenhagen K, Venkatakrishnan V, Wongtrakul-Kish K, Diestel S, Hoffmann P, Karlsson NG, Kolarich D, Molloy MP, Muders MH, Oehler MK, Packer NH, Palmisano G, Thaysen-Andersen M. Protein Paucimannosylation is an Enriched N-glycosylation Signature of Human Cancers. Proteomics. Aug 2019. 31419058
- Chen J, Kawamura T, Sethi MK, Zaia J, Repunte-Canonigo V, Sanna PP. Heparan sulfate: Resilience factor and therapeutic target for cocaine abuse, Sci Rep. Oct 2017. 29066725
- Hidgon R, Kala J, Wilkins D, Yan J, Sethi MK, Lin L, Liu S, Montague E, Janko I, Choiniere J, Kolker N, Hancock WS, Kolker E, Fanayan S. Integrated proteomic and transcriptomic-based approached to identifying signature biomarkers and pathways for elucidation of Daoy and UW228 subtypes, Proteomes, Feb 2017. 28248256
- Sethi MK, Zaia J: Extracellular Matrix Proteomics in Schizophrenia and Alzheimer’s Disease, Anal Bioanal Chem, Jan 2017. 27601046
- Sethi MK, Hancock WS, Fanayan S: Identifying N-glycan-based biomarkers in colorectal cancer by mass spectrometry, Accounts of Chemical Research, Oct 2016. 27653471
- Sethi MK, Fanayan S: Mass spectrometry-Based N-glycomics of Colorectal Cancer, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, Dec 2015. 26690136
- Yan JF, Kim H, Jeong SK, Lee HJ, Sethi MK, Lee LY, Beavis RC, Im H, Snyder MP, Hofree M, Ideker T, Wu SL, Paik YK, Fanayan S, Hancock WS. Integrated Proteomic and genomic analysis of gastric cancer patient tissues, J Proteome Res, Dec 2015. 26435392
- Sethi MK, Thaysen-Andersen M, Kim H, Park CK, Baker MS, Packer NH, Paik YK, Hancock WS, Fanayan S. Quantitative proteomic analysis of paired colorectal cancer and non-tumorigenic tissues reveal signature proteins and perturbed pathways involved in CRC progression and metastasis, J Proteomics, Aug 26054784
- Sethi MK, Fanayan S: Using Single Lectins to Enrich Glycoproteins in Conditioned Media. Curr. Protoc. Protein Sci, Aug 2015. 26237673
- Sethi MK, Thaysen-Andersen M, Smith JT, Baker MS, Packer NH, Hancock WS, Fanayan S. Comparative N‑Glycan Profiling of Colorectal Cancer Cell Lines Reveals Unique Bisecting GlcNAc and α‑2,3-Linked Sialic Acid Determinants Are Associated with Membrane Proteins of the More Metastatic/Aggressive Cell Lines, J Proteome Res, Jan 24295106
- Sethi MK, Kim H, Park CK, Baker MS, Paik YK, Packer NH, Hancock WS, Fanayan S, Thaysen-Andersen M. In-depth N-glycome profiling of paired colorectal cancer and non-tumorigenic tissues reveal cancer-, stage- and EGFR-specific protein N-glycosylation, Glycobiology. Oct 2015. 26085185
- Fanayan S, Smith JT, Sethi MK, Cantor D, Goode R, Simpson RJ, Baker MS, Hancock WS, Nice E. Chromosome 7-centric analysis of Proteomic data from a panel of human carcinoma cell lines, J Proteome Res, Jan 23244008