Renda Soylemez Wiener, MD MPH
Faculty and Fellows
Professor of Medicine
Associate Director, Center for Healthcare Organization & Implementation Research, VA Boston Healthcare System
Medical School: Columbia P&S
Internship: New York-Presbyterian Hospital
Residency: New York-Presbyterian Hospital
Fellowship: Boston Medical Center
Other Post-doctoral Fellowships/Training: Health Services Research Fellowship, VA Outcomes Group, White River Junction, VT
Master’s/PhD programs: MPH, The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy & Clinical Practice
- Health services research and implementation science
- Shared decision-making and patient-clinician communication
- Lung cancer screening and evaluation of pulmonary nodules
- De-implementation of low-value practices in pulmonary and critical care medicine
As a pulmonologist, health services researcher, and implementation scientist, the goal of my work is to improve how patients, families, and clinicians understand, discuss, and make decisions about medical care. Through my research I hope to improve medical decision-making, by understanding how physicians translate evidence into practice, promoting better quality patient-clinician communication, and increasing focus on patients’ preferences and experiences.
My research, funded by NIH, VA HSR&D, VA QUERI, PCORI, and several foundations, has focused on two core areas:
- Identifying and de-implementing overly aggressive, potentially harmful strategies in pulmonary and critical care,
- Defining and implementing patient-centered strategies to optimize the ratio of benefits to harms in lung cancer screening and evaluation of potentially malignant pulmonary nodules.
My work has been highly influential; according to the Web of Science, I have published 5 articles that are in the top 1% of most highly cited papers in the field of clinical medicine, with publications in JAMA, JAMA Internal Medicine, Annals of Internal Medicine, BMJ, and the American Journal of Respiratory & Critical Care Medicine, with over 7000 total citations to my work. I have led or participated in several clinical practice guidelines and policy statements.
I see patients in pulmonary clinic at the VA Boston and VA Bedford Healthcare Systems.