Staying Safe While Traveling:
- In an emergency off campus call 9-1-1
- Remain in well-lit, well-traveled areas. Avoid shortcuts and remain alert.
- Do not use cell phones or iPods or other devices with earphones while walking to your destination- this includes walking to garages and waiting at bus stops. When wearing earphones, your hearing is diminished and you become a target for crime.
- Make yourself familiar with the location of the blue BUMC Public Safety Emergency Call boxes around the campus.
- Travel with a friend or in a group when possible, two is always better than one.
- Utilize the shuttle services or request a public safety escort after hours by calling (617) 414-4444 for on campus destinations.
- Have your car or building key in your hand before you reach the door of your car or destination. Do not spend time at your car door or at your destination searching for your keys.
- Always secure your vehicle. Never leave any valuables or contents in plain view. GPS navigation systems, laptop computers, iPods, electronics devices, bags and money left in vehicles are targeted by thieves. Lock all property in the trunk prior to parking your vehicle or take it with you.