BU Employee Bike Benefit
Applications for the 2022 BU Bike Benefit are open until January 9, 2023.
Do you commute by bicycle to and from your job at BU? You may be eligible to be reimbursed for up to $300 of your 2022 bicycle-related expenses!
What is the Bicycle Commuter Reimbursement Benefit?
Faculty and staff may claim a $25 reimbursement each “qualified bicycle-commuting month” (up to $300 per calendar year) for expenses incurred at any point during the calendar year related to commuting by bicycle to and from your job at Boston University!
To meet the eligibility criteria for a qualified bicycle-commuting month, you must:
- be a regular Boston University faculty or staff member (students, student employees, and employees not classified as regular faculty or staff are not eligible for this benefit)
- not simultaneously hold a BU-subsidized MBTA pass or BU/BMC parking permit during any portion of a month you claim a bike reimbursement
- commute to and from BUMC by bicycle greater than 50% during this time
- This is not a BMC benefit. This benefit is only available to regular BU employees.
- Any month in which an employee held a BU/BMC parking permit or BU-subsidized MBTA pass, even for as little as one day, is not considered a “qualified bicycle-commuting month.”
- To receive this benefit, employees must be current BU employees through the reimbursement period (mid-April of the following benefit year). Reimbursement will not be issued to employees whose employment is terminated before that time.
- Enrollment in this benefit is not automatic for past participants. A new application is required for every benefit year.
Eligible Expenses Include:
- Purchase of a new or used bicycle (purchased by you and used for your commute to and from your job)
- Bicycle improvements and repair
- Parts to maintain bike such as tires and tubes
- Locks and bike-mounted accessories including child bike seats and cargo racks
- Professional tune-ups
- Labor costs for bike repair or installation of parts
- Safety gear including lights, helmets and reflective items attached to bike
- Bicycle storage – fees you pay to use a bike parking facility including bike cages or other bike storage locations
Expense claims must include a receipt.
Non-Eligible Expenses Include:
- Clothing, bike shoes, and other apparel
- Bluebikes or other bike-share memberships
- Gym membership
- Bike rental costs
- Car bike racks or personal storage racks/units
- Otherwise eligible purchases that you make for someone else