BUMC Student MBTA Pass
MBTA Student Semester Pass – Fall 2020 enrollment
BUMC students (full-time and part-time) may sign up for the MBTA semester pass program and save 11 percent. There is a Fall Semester pass for September-December and a Spring Semester pass for February-May. Summer discounted MBTA semester passes are NOT available.
To apply for a MBTA Student Semester Pass:
- To apply, go to the Student Link and select “MBTA Semester Pass” from the express link menu, log in using your Boston University login name and Kerberos password, and then follow the on-screen instructions. If you do not have a BU login name and Kerberos password, select the Student Link’s “Basics” tab and then select “Read Me First/Getting Started” for instructions. Applications, cancellations, or refunds cannot be processed after the MBTA deadline (4pm EDT, August 10th,2020).Note: Students wishing to charge their student account must be registered full-time and in good standing to charge their account on the date of the deadline.
**Semester Link, Local Bus, Inner Express, and Outer Express passes will be loaded on to a CharlieCard, which will remain valid from February 1st until May 31st, 2020. If your bus or link pass is lost or damaged, contact us and we can order you a replacement pass at no extra cost. Unfortunately, the MBTA will not issue replacement passes for lost Zone or Boat passes.**
|Pass Type||2020 Spring Semester Pass Price||Replaceable if lost or stolen||One Card for Entire Semester|
|LinkPass (most popular)||$320.00||■||■|
|Commuter Rail Zone 1A||$320.00|
|Inner Express Bus||$484.00||■||■|
|Outer Express Bus||$596.00||■||■|
|Commuter Rail Zone 1||$760.00|
|Commuter Rail Zone 2||$824.00|
|Commuter Rail Zone 3||$928.00|
|Commuter Rail Zone 4||$1,000.00|
|Commuter Rail Zone 5||$1,104.00|
|Commuter Rail Zone 6||$1,208.00|
|Commuter Rail Zone 7||$1,280.00|
|Commuter Rail Zone 8||$1,380.00|
Charlie Card vs. CharlieTicket
LinkPasses and Bus Passes (Local, Inner Express, and Outer Express) are issued on “CharlieCards” which are used for the whole semester and can be replaced if lost or stolen. Commuter Rail Passes (including Zone 1A) are issued on “CharlieTickets” which must be picked up each month and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Student Semester Pass right for me?
This will depend on how often you use MBTA buses and trains. If you live in a location where you can use the free BU Shuttle, you may not want to purchase a semester pass.
From a cost-benefit perspective, you may consider getting a CharlieCard through the MBTA; load it with a cash balance to pay for fares if they will be infrequent. If you believe you will be using MBTA services daily, then the Semester Pass program is probably right for you. The Semester Pass program offers an 11 percent discount off of the regular monthly “T” pass price.
Bus and link passes are valid for the entire four month block and can be replaced if lost. Zone passes must be picked up monthly and cannot be replaced if lost.
If you are uncertain of which pass is best for you, more information is available ONLINE or this BREAKDOWN LIST. You can also reach the Parking & Transportation Services office by phone 617-358-3506 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No applications, cancellations, or refunds can be processed once the Fall semester deadline has passed. These are non-negotiable policies set by the MBTA.
- CharlieCards issued for the Semester Pass program are only valid for the time period specified.
- DO NOT add a monthly pass or fare value to your CharlieCard as the card will expire when the program ends.
- Fall Semester Pass CharlieCards expire on December 31 and Spring Semester Pass CharlieCards expire on May 31.