Volunteer Community Service
Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, our major teaching hospital, both have a long tradition of community engagement serving the less fortunate in the city of Boston.
BUSM supports our students in the development of a rich group of activities through Volunteer Community Service Activities. These activities provide opportunities for students to volunteer their services in the greater Boston community. BUSM provides oversight with advising, programmatic, and financial support along with monitoring of activities.
Students provide important volunteer services to the community. It is important to consider what the Community’s needs are and match those with student interests. The SAO office is working with community leaders to be able to provide students with community needs.
While volunteering, each student is encouraged to reflect on their experience. In past years, students were able to apply their volunteer work for credit for the Essentials of Public Health Course. AY 22-23 will be different with curricular changes reflected in the Health Equity/LEADS (Learn, Experience, Advocate, Discover and Serve). Please stay tuned.
List of Volunteer Service Activity Groups:
- Action Mentorship Project (AMP)
- Art SPACE: Supporting People And Creating Empowerment
- Boston University Coalition for Adult Immunization (BUCAI)
- Boston University for Down Syndrome (BUDS)
- Brain Enrichment Program (BEP)
- Bridging Gaps in Care
- BU Mentors for Aspiring Physician Students (MAPS)
- BUSM CALM (Cuddling Assists in Lowering Medication Treatment for NOWS)
- BUSM Health Professional Recruitment and Exposure Program (HPREP)
- BUSM Homeless Health Immersion Experience
- BUSM Pipeline for Underrepresented Students in Healthcare (PUSH)
- BUSM Science Teaching Enrichment Program (BUSM STEP)
- BUSM Service PRIDE
- BU Student-Run Teen and Tot Service
- Comfortable in Our Skin (CIOS@BUSM)
- DREAM – Delivery Resources, Education, and Advocacy for Moms (DREAM)
- Outreach Van Project
- Parkinson’s Partners
- Socially Responsible Surgery VCS Group
- Student Sidekicks at Boston Medical Center