Postdoc fellow positions available in Sepsis, Trauma, and Organ Injury research at University of Maryland, Baltimore
Postdoctoral Fellow Positions
Center for Shock, Trauma and Anesthesiology Research (STAR Center)
R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
University of Maryland School of Medicine
To study the role of extracellular miRNAs and EVs in regulating innate immunity and inflammatory
responses in critical illness – trauma, sepsis, ischemic organ injury.
NIGMS, NINDS, NHLBI, National Science Foundation, US Air Force
The STAR Center is a world-class, multi-disciplinary research and educational center focusing on critical
care and organ support, resuscitation, surgical outcomes, patient safety and injury prevention. We are
currently seeking highly trained and motivated postdoctoral fellows to join our Translational Research
Program to investigates the role of extracellular vesicles (EVs) and microRNA-mediated innate immune
signaling in 1) sepsis-associated brain inflammation and cognitive dysfunction, 2) acute lung injury, 3)
coagulopathy in sepsis and trauma, and 4) cardiac ischemia injury. These translational projects involve
both humans and animals.
A list of recent publications:
1. Chen C, et al. Role of extracellular RNA and TLR3-Trif signaling in myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury. J Am
Heart Assoc. 2014 Jan 3; 3(1): e000683. PMID: 24390148
2. Chen F, et al. Targeting Toll-Like receptors in sepsis – From bench to clinical trials (Review). Antioxid Redox
Signal. 2021; PMID: 33588628
3. Xu J, et al. Circulating plasma extracellular vesicles from septic mice induce inflammation via microRNA- and
TLR7-dependent mechanisms. J Immunol. 2018; 201: 3392-3400. PMID: 30355788
4. Jeyaram A, et al. Enhanced loading of functional miRNA cargo via pH-gradient modification of extracellular
vesicles. Molecular Therapy 2020; 28(3):975-985. PMID:31911034
5. Williams B, et al. Toll-like receptor 2 and 7 mediate coagulation activation and coagulopathy in murine sepsis. J
Thromb Haemost. 2019; 17:1683-1693. PMID: 31211901
6. Kronstadt SM, et al. Therapeutic Potential of Extracellular Vesicles for Sepsis Treatment (Review). Adv Ther
(Weinh). 2021 Jul;4(7) PMID: 34423113
7. Wang S, et al. Role of Extracellular MicroRNA-146a-5p in Host Innate Immunity and Bacterial Sepsis. iScience.
2021 24(12), 103441. PMID: 34877498
8. Zou L, et al. Brain Innate Immune Response via miRNA-TLR7 Sensing in Polymicrobial Sepsis. Brain Behavior
Immunity. Brain Behav Immun. 2021 100, 10-24. PMID: 34808293.
The candidates with PhD or MD degree in molecular/cell biology, physiology, pharmacology, neuroscience,
and immunology are encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate should have excellent written and oral
communication skills and independent ability to design and execute experiments.
Interested candidates should send the following materials to Ms. Danielle Hill (email@example.com):
1) Cover letter with a brief description of your research interest and career goal
3) Contact information of 3 references
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.