***Please note that as of July 1, 2011, we are no longer accepting applications for the K12 Program***
It is essential that candidates for the Leadership Program in Vascular Medicine have a strong desire to pursue a career in academic vascular medicine. They should hold an MD or DO degree and be completing or have completed an internal medicine residency, or a cardiovascular medicine fellowship program. Individuals receiving training in related medical subspecialties such as rheumatology, hematology, pulmonary or nephrology are also eligible. Under special circumstances consideration will be given to candidates in other vascular related disciplines such as vascular surgery, interventional radiology or neurology.
The applicant must submit a complete application. This consists of the following items:
- An application form, (PDF)*
- An updated curriculum vitae,
- Up to five (5) page summary of the fellow’s planned research (if known),
- Up to two (2) page personal statement indicating the applicant’s longterm research goals and how the Vascular Medicine Research Training Program would help meet those goals,
- Two letters of support from faculty who are familiar with the fellow’s previous clinical and research activities. These letters of support must provide a strong affirmation of the applicant’s commitment to a career in clinical research.
Applicants are pre-screened to assure that all of the prerequisite criteria have been met and that the application is complete. All complete and acceptable applications are reviewed at meetings of the Advisory Committee (including the Program Directors). The Committee bases its selections on the following items:
- Strength of evidence that the applicant is committed to a career in clinical vascular medicine research;
- Potential of the applicant to become an independent investigator, based upon past research productivity and letters of support;
- The quality of the applicant’s research plan including importance of the primary hypothesis, soundness of scientific methods, feasibility of completion, and interest in including multiple disciplines in the research;
- Ethnic background and gender will be given special consideration.
* Please note that Adobe Acrobat Reader is necessary in order to view the Requisition Form. The latest version of the Reader may be downloaded for free at www.adobe.com.