Bicycle Commuter Reimbursement Benefit
BU Employee Bicycle Commuter Benefit
Do you commute by bicycle to and from your job at BU? You may be eligible to be reimbursed for up to $300 of your 2019 bicycle-related expenses!
What is the Bicycle Commuter Reimbursement Benefit?
Faculty and staff may claim a $25 reimbursement each “qualified bicycle-commuting month” (up to $300 per calendar year) for expenses incurred at any point during the calendar year related to commuting by bicycle to and from your job at Boston University!
To meet the eligibility criteria for a qualified bicycle-commuting month, you must:
- be a regular Boston University faculty or staff member (students, student employees, and employees not classified as regular faculty or staff are not eligible for this benefit)
- not simultaneously hold a BU-subsidized MBTA pass or BU-provided parking permit (with the exception of a red pay-on-entry permit) during any portion of a month you claim a bike reimbursement
- commute to and from Boston University by bicycle greater than 50% during this time
Enrollment has begun. To receive the benefit, you must enroll before January 6th, 2020.
Eligible Expenses Include:
- Purchase of a new or used bicycle (purchased by you and used for your commute to and from your job)
- Bicycle improvements and repair
- Parts to maintain bike such as tires and tubes
- Locks and bike-mounted accessories including child bike seats and cargo racks
- Professional tune-ups
- Labor costs for bike repair or installation of parts
- Safety gear including lights, helmets and reflective items attached to bike
- Bicycle storage – fees you pay to use a bike parking facility including bike cages or other bike storage locations
- BUMC 710 Albany Bike Cage ($20/yr)
Expense claims must include a receipt.
Non-Eligible Expenses Include:
- Clothing, bike shoes, and other apparel
- Bluebikes, Limebikes, or other bike-share memberships
- Gym membership
- Bike rental costs
- Car bike racks or personal storage racks/units
- Otherwise eligible purchases that you make for someone else
How to receive the Bicycle Commuter Reimbursement Benefit:
Before January 6th, 2020:
1 Enroll in the Benefit
Enrolling is easy. Simply log in to BUworks and click on the Employee Self-Service tab. Then click Campus Services and choose “Apply for Bicycle Expense Reimbursement” from your respective campus’s Parking and Transportation Services section. You must enroll between November 15th and January 6th if you intend to claim a bike reimbursement during any month of the calendar year. Form responses may be updated through 11:59 p.m., on January 6.
Between January 13th and March 31st, 2020:
2 Register Online with P&A Group
You can register to set up an online account with P&A Group. Among other things, registering will allow you to submit your claims online and use the website to check account balances and the status of claims. Employees who have already set up an online account with P&A Group for another benefit through the University do not need to register again and may use their current login credentials to gain access. To register:
- Go to the P&A Group website and select the tab for Employee Participants.
- At the bottom of the page, within “My Benefits Account Login”, click on “First time logging in? Sign up here.”
- When prompted to enter your Social Security Number, you should provide your University ID# instead, and then follow the instructions to set up your account and your preferences.
3 Enroll in P&A Group Direct Deposit
In order to be reimbursed, you must enroll in direct deposit. This allows P&A Group to deposit your reimbursement directly into your designated checking or savings account. To enroll in direct deposit, log into your secure P&A My Benefits Account at www.padmin.com. Under the Quick Links menu, select Direct Deposit and enter your banking information. If you are currently enrolled in direct deposit with another P&A plan, you do not need to enroll again.
4 Submit Receipts for Reimbursement
Save your receipts for 2019 bike-related purchases made during the calendar year. Submit them to our benefits administrator, P&A Group, between January 13 and March 31 (of the subsequent year) for review and approval, along with any necessary banking information (for direct deposit purposes). The total dollar value you are eligible for will be calculated and paid against eligible expenses on receipts you have submitted. Qualified reimbursement will be directly deposited into your bank account between April 15 and April 30.
Choose from one of the three easy options below to receive reimbursement for your bike commute expenses:
Instantly submit claims and receipts directly from your smartphone. Log into your account at www.padmin.com from your mobile device by selecting Account Login and following the prompts on your screen.
2. Electronic Claim Upload
Upload claims through P&A’s website www.padmin.com when logging into your P&A Group account. Select Upload a Claim under the Member Tools tab.
3. Fax or Mail a Paper Claim
Complete a claim form (PDF) and fax or mail it to P&A Group
FAX: (877) 855-7105
MAIL: P&A Group
17 Court Street
Buffalo, NY 14202
Call (800) 688-2611 to speak with a representative or use P&A Group’s online chat at www.padmin.com (click the live chat button in the upper right hand corner). Customer service hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
Boston University will verify information provided through the Enrollment & Attestation form. Boston University and P&A Group reserve the right to interpret compliance with internal established guidelines. False or ineligible claims will result in an expense or expenses not being reimbursable. Reimbursements are taxable income. Federal, state, and FICA taxes will be withheld on the amount of the reimbursement from your pay once you have been issued the reimbursement.