Individual Travel Funding
Please fill out and submit the Individual Travel Funding Request Form below by 11:59pm on the Sunday before the monthly SCOMSA meeting before your event occurs. No retroactive funding will be approved, so funding requests must be submitted on the Sunday before the monthly SCOMSA meeting before your event occurs. Please see the SCOMSA meeting schedule to find out when SCOMSA meetings occur.
Individual Travel Funding Request Form
- Please read the TRAVEL Section of the Funding Guidelines.
- Two conference visits are allowed per student per fiscal year, with the fiscal year starting on June 1st and ending on May 31st of the following year. The student must be actively enrolled in the School of Medicine to receive reimbursement. MD/PhD’s in their PhD years are not eligible for SCOMSA funding as they are GMS students.
- SCOMSA has voted to increase the funding amount given to students who travel to conferences. These reimbursement amounts will be reevaluated as the year progresses, and may be decreased if it is determined that the current amounts are not fiscally possible to maintain for the remainder of the year. Students may apply for funding in three categories:
- If you are presenting research completed at BUMC, you are eligible for reimbursement of up to 80% of travel, accommodation, and food costs. SCOMSA will reimburse a maximum amount of $575 for this category. To be eligible for this level of funding, students must provide evidence of presentation at the conference by including a copy of the presentation acceptance email or an equivalent confirmation email from the conference.
- If you are are presenting research that was not conducted at BUMC or have taken an increased/active role in the conference (this includes conference planning, leading workshops, etc.), you are eligible for up to 60% of travel, accommodation and food costs. SCOMSA will reimburse a maximum amount of $400 for this category. To be eligible for this level of funding, students must provide compelling evidence of their increased role in the conference by including a copy of the presentation acceptance email or an equivalent confirmation email from the conference.
- If you are attending a conference and do not fit into any of the above categories, you are eligible for reimbursement of up to 55% of travel, accommodation, and food costs. SCOMSA will reimburse a maximum amount of $325 for this category.
If your funding request is approved, please submit the Online Travel Reimbursement Form within 30 days of the end of your conference/event. The following items are required to be submitted:
- All scanned itemized receipts (only one receipt per PDF)
- Your SCOMSA funding approval email
- A copy of your conference registration confirmation
*Please remember that when you submit a request for funding, you should always get an automated confirmation email and a personal confirmation email from the SCOMSA email account stating the meeting at which we will vote on your request. If you do not receive the confirmation email, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.