July 2015 Updates

Student Attendance at National Conferences

The Housing Opportunity Conference

7/14/15

The Housing Opportunity Conference was a meeting of urban planners, architects, designers, and public health professionals dedicated to the preservation and creation of affordable housing in America’s cities. This year the conference had a particular focus on promoting health, as housing is increasingly recognized as absolutely necessary for good health, especially among the poor. Notable speakers included Megan Sandel, a BMC pediatrician who focuses on the link between affordable housing and health. I was personally funded by the Child Health Advocacy Program at BUSM to work with her this summer, so this conference was a great way to further make connections in the field and cap off the summer. – Andy Hyatt

Student Presentations at National Conferences

The American College of Surgeons NSQIP National Conference

7/26/15

The American College of Surgeons NSQIP (National Surgical Quality Improvement Program) National Conference is an annual meeting of surgeons, nurses, research assistants/coordinators, residents, fellows, and other health care providers who play a role in surgical quality improvement within a wide diversity of hospitals across the nation. During the span of the conference, there were dozens of abstract presentations, guest speakers, seminars, presentations regarding various surgical quality improvement topics, networking events, and a poster reception/session as well. Overall, the NSQIP conference is designed to address innovative and effective ways of improving patient care, reducing surgical complications, and understanding how to advance modern surgical practice.I really enjoyed listening to some of the narrative sessions where guest speakers shared their personal experiences regarding surgical patient care and discussed ways to become leaders in quality improvement, advocate for patients, and play an active role in surgical innovation. My involvement with the conference was mainly with the poster session, where I had a chance to present some of the research going on within the Thoracic Surgery Department here at Boston Medical Center. – Daniel Choi

Daniel Choi at The American College of Surgeons NSQIP National Conference

The International AIDS Society 2015 Conference

7/20/2015

I presented a poster of my research on retention in early HIV care at an outpatient clinic in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I completed my project as part of the South American Program for HIV Prevention Research, which is administered through the University of California-Los Angeles. The International AIDS Society 2015 Conference (IAS 2015) provided a great opportunity to learn about the newest developments in HIV research, including Treatment as Prevention and Pre-exposure Prophylaxis. I was humbled by fellow poster presenters and medical students, who presented work from all over the word. I enjoyed oral presentations on the HIV continuum of care, mHealth and stigma, and had the unique opportunity to discuss future projects with leaders in the field of HIV/AIDS research and policy. Presenting at the IAS 2015 was a tremendously educational and professionally ful! filling experience, and re-affirmed my commitment to work towards equitable HIV care and prevention. – Daniel SilvaDaniel Silva at The International AIDS Society 2015 Conference
Primary teaching affiliate
of BU School of Medicine