November 2011 Updates:

SCOMSA:

11/19/2011

On Wednesday, November , 2, 2011, SCOMSA held its third meeting for the year. The minutes from the meeting are included in the following link (2011.11.2 SCOMSA Minutes).

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Student Research Presentations:

9/12/2011

Eric Carniol

On September 12, 2011, Eric Carniol (ecarniol@bu.edu) gave an oral presentation at the American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery annual meeting in Sanfrancisco, California. Eric presented his research on tobacco-cessation counseling practices. The talk was entitled “Survey on Tobacco-cessation Policies and Practices (STOPP).

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Student Attendance at National Conferences:

Aniruddha Hazra
10/1/2011
Aniruddha Hazra attended the Gay Lesbian Medical Association annual conference 10/1-10/2 in Atlanta.  GLMA is dedicated to addressing the medical needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered patients as well as other sexual minorities.  The annual conference is an excellent platform in presenting new and continuing issues facing this medically marginalized community.  My interest in HIV medicine led me to several workshop headlining new anti-retroviral therapies as well as community involvement in stemming the recent rise in new infections.  I was also able to attend talks dealing with issues I know very little about.  Transgender health was a topic I got to learn a lot about during my time at the conference. Overall, I had a great experience in Washington, DC.  I am very thankful to SCOMSA and the Office of Student Affairs for helping fund my trip to the GLMA conference.

Primary teaching affiliate
of BU School of Medicine