Proteinuria and renal fibrosis (Dr Havasi)
Research interest: Mechanisms of proteinuria induced tubular damage, interstitial fibrosis and inflammation in progressive kidney diseases.
Proteinuria is associated with progressive chronic kidney disease. It is well known that exposure of proximal tubular epithelial cells to large amounts of albumin leads to the development of tubular atrophy and fibrosis. However, the possible pathogenic role of albumin in this process has not been fully elucidated. Development of new therapeutic tools to prevent or slow the progression of proteinuric chronic kidney disease requires clear understanding of the effect of proteinuria on tubular cell function.
- Gall JM, Wong V, Pimental D, Havasi A, Wang Z, Pastorino JG, Bonegio R, Schwartz JH, Borkan SC. Hexokinase Regulates Susceptibility to Bax-Mediated Mitochondrial Membrane Injury after Ischemic Stress. Kidney International. 2011.
- Wang Z, Gall JM, Bonegio R, Havasi A, Hunt C, Sherman M, Schwartz JH, Borkan SC. Hsp70 Induction Inhibits Ischemic Renal Injury: A Potential Therapeutic Intervention. Kidney International. 2011.
- Wang Z, Havasi A, Gall JM, Bonegio R, Li Z, Sinha D, Gangoli N, Schwartz JH, Borkan SC. (2010) GSK3β regulates cell survival, apoptosis and renal function after ischemic stress. J Am Soc Nephrol. Feb;21(2):284-94. PMC2834548.
- Wang Z, Havasi A, Gall JM, Mao H, Schwartz JH, Borkan SC. (2009) Beta-catenin promotes survival of renal epithelial cells by inhibiting Bax. J Am Soc Nephrol. Sep;20(9):1919-28. PMC2736777.
- Havasi A, Wang Z, Gall JM, Spaderna M, Suri V, Canlas E, Martin JL, Schwartz JH, Borkan SC. (2009) Hsp27 Inhibits Sublethal, Src Mediated Renal Epithelial Cell Injury. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. Sep;297(3):F760-8. PMC2739706.
- Havasi A, Li Z, Wang Z, Martin JL, Botla V, Ruchalski K, Schwartz JH, Borkan SC. (2008) Hsp27 inhibits Bax activation and apoptosis via a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent mechanism. J Biol Chem. May 2;283(18):12305-13. PMC2431006.
- Gusset M, Dagher MC, Molnar G, Havasi A, Faure J, Paclet MH, Morel F, Ligeti E. (2001) Characterization of membrane-localized and cytosolic Rac GTPase-activating proteins in human neutrophil granulocytes: contribution to the regulation of NADPH oxidase. Biochem J.; 355: 851-858.
Havasi A, Gall JM and Borkan SC. (2010) Multifaceted Role of Heat Stress Proteins in the Kidney; In Heat Shock Proteins and Whole Body Physiology (Edited by A. Asea; Springer Scienece)