Clinical Investigation (Drs. Dember and Kaufman)
Clinical Investigation (Drs. Dember and Kaufman; other faculty participate in specific projects)
NIH Dialysis Access Consortium Trial: Clopidogrel for the Prevention of Early Native Fistula Thrombosis.
NIH Dialysis Access Consortium Trial: Aggrenox Prevention of Access Stenosis.
Mechanisms of AV Fistula Maturation
Eprodisate for AA Amyloidosis
Phase II/III Study of the Efficacy and Safety of NC-503 in Patients Suffering from Systemic (AA) Amyloidosis.
Real-Time Measurement of Uremic Toxins Using Raman Laser
VA multicenter study examining the efficacy of combination antiplatelet agents (aspirin and clopidogrel) in the prevention of hemodialysis access graft failure.
VA multicenter study examining the importance of elevated homocysteine levels in the excess cardiovascular mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease by studying efficacy of high dose folate, B12, and pyridoxine in reducing the mortality in patients moderate to end stage kidney disease.
VA randomized clinical trial examining the efficacy of combination angiotensin receptor blocker and angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor to slow the progression of diabetic nephropathy.
Dr. Dember performs clinical research in two major areas:
- End-Stage Renal Disease. She has a specific interest in hemodialysis vascular access failure and, in collaboration with Dr. Kaufman, conducts single-center and multi-center clinical trials evaluating interventions to improve vascular access outcomes. She is a principal investigator for the NIH Dialysis Access Consortium and chaired the protocol committee for one of the two large trials being performed by this consortium. In addition to clinical trials, her research also involves mechanistic studies in the areas of fistula maturation and ESRD-associated vascular disease.
- Amylodiosis. Boston University has one of the world’s leading centers for the treatment of the amyloidoses, a group of diseases that often result in kidney failure. As a member of the BU Amyloid Treatment and Research Program, Dr. Dember is involved in a variety of studies of amyloidosis treatment, and has a particular interest in the impact of new treatments on amyloidosis-associated kidney disease. She is currently one of the lead investigators in an international trial evaluating a novel agent designed to interfere with the formation of AA amyloid fibrils.
Dr. Dember’s Publications:
- Himmelfarb J, Dember LM, Dixon BS. Hemodialysis Vascular Access. In: Pereira B, Sayegh M, and Blake P (eds). Chronic Kidney Disease: Dialysis and Transplantation, Second Edition, Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2004.
- Dember LM, Holmberg EF, Kaufman JS. Randomized, controlled trial of prophylactic repair of hemodialysis AV graft stenosis. Kidney Int 2004; 66:390-98.
- Seldin DC, Anderson JJ, Sanchorawala V, Malek K, Wright DG, Quillen K, Finn KT, Berk JL, Dember LM, Falk RH, Skinner M. Improvement in quality of life of patients with AL amyloidosis treated with high dose melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantation. Blood 2004; 104:1888-93.
- Sanchorawala V, Wright DG, Seldin DC, Falk RH, Finn KT, Dember LM, Berk J, Quillen K, Anderson JJ, Comenzo RL, Skinner M. High-dose intravenous melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantation as initial therapy or following two cycles of oral chemotherapy for the treatment of AL amyloidosis: results of a prospective randomized trial. Bone Marrow Transplantation 2004; 33:381-88.
- Skinner M, Sanchorawala V, Seldin DC, Dember LM, Falk RH, Berk JL, Anderson JJ, O’Hara C, Finn KT, Libbey CA, Weisman J, Quillen K, Swan N, Wright DG. Survival and clinical response to treatment with high-dose melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantation in patients with AL amyloidosis: an 8-year study. Ann Intern Med 2004; 140:85-93.
- Akar H, Seldin DC, Magnani B, O’Hara C, Berk JL, Schoonmaker C, Cabral H, Dember LM, Sanchorawala V, Connors LH, Falk RH, Skinner M. Quantitative serum free light-chain assay in the diagnostic evaluation of AL amyloidosis. Amyloid 2005; 12:210-215.
- Dember LM, Kaufman JS, Beck GJ, Dixon BS, Gassman JJ, Greene T, Himmelfarb J, Hunsicker LG, Kusek JW, Lawson, JH, Middleton JP, Radeva M, Schwab SJ, Whiting JF, Feldman HI. Design of the dialysis access consortium (DAC) clopidogrel prevention of early AV fistula thrombosis trial. Clinical Trials 2005; 2:413-422.
- Dixon B, Beck G, Dember LM, Gassman J, Greene T, Himmelfarb J, Hunsicker LG, Kaufman JS, Kusek J, LG, Kusek JW, Lawson, JH, Middleton JP, Radeva M, Schwab SJ, Whiting JF, Feldman HI. Design of the dialysis access consortium (DAC) Aggrenox prevention of access stenosis trial. Clinical Trials 2005; 2:400-412
- Dember LM. Emerging treatment approaches for the systemic amyloidoses. Kidney Int 2005; 68: 1377-1390.
- Dember LM, Stone JR. Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 15-2005. An 80 year old man with shortness of breath, edema, and proteinuria. N Engl J Med 2005; 342:2111-19.
- Weichman K, Dember LM, Quillen K, Rosenzweig M, Skinner M, Wright DG, Prokaeva T, Seldin DC, Sanchorawala V. Clinical and Molecular Characteristics of Patients with Non-amyloid Light Chain Deposition Disorders, and Outcome following Treatment with High-Dose Melphalan and Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation Bone Marrow Transplantation 2006; 38: 339-43.
- Dember LM and Jaber BL. Dialysis related amyloidosis: late finding or hidden epidemic? Seminars in Dialysis 2006; 19:105-109.
- Dember LM. Amyloidosis-Associated Kidney Disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 2006; 17:3458-71.
- Dember LM. Light chains, casts, sheets and fibrils: monoclonal immunoglobulin diseases and immunotactoid/fibrillary glomerulopathy. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;1:1320-1.
- Dember LM. Anemia in patients with chronic kidney disease: defining the optimal hemoglobin target. Nat Clin Pract Nephrol 2007; 3:244-5
- Dember LM, Dixon BS. Early fistula failure: back to basics. Am J Kidney Dis. 2007;50:696-9.
- Sanchorawala V, Wright DG, Quillen K, Finn KT, Dember LM, Berk JL, Doros G, Fisher C, Skinner M, Seldin DC. Tandem cycles of high-dose melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantation increases the response rate in AL amyloidosis. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2007; 40:557-62.
- Dember LM, Hawkins PN, Hazenberg BP, Gorevic PD, Merlini G, Butrimiene I, Livneh A, Lesnyak O, Puéchal X, Lachmann HJ, Obici L, Balshaw R, Garceau D, Hauck W, Skinner M; Eprodisate for AA Amyloidosis Trial Group. Eprodisate for the treatment of renal disease in AA amyloidosis. N Engl J Med. 2007; 356:2349-60.
- Dember LM, Beck GJ, Allon M, Delmez JA, Dixon BS, Greenberg A, Himmelfarb J, Vazquez MA, Gassman JJ, Greene T, Radeva MK, Braden GL, Ikizler TA, Rocco MV, Davidson IJ, Kaufman JS, Meyers CM, Kusek JW, Feldman HI; Dialysis Access Consortium Study Group. Effect of clopidogrel on early failure of arteriovenous fistulas for hemodialysis: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2008; 299:2164-71.
Dr. Kaufman’s publications:
- Dember LM, Holmberg EF, Kaufman JS. Randomized controlled trial of prophylactic repair of hemodialysis arteriovenous graft stenosis. Kidney Int 66:390-398, 2004.
- Cotter DJ, Stefanik K, Zhang Y, Thamer M, Scharfstein D, Kaufman J. Evaluation of hematocrit as a surrogate end point for survival among epoetin-treated hemodialysis patients. J Clin Epid 57:1086-1095, 2004.
- Zhang Y, Thamer M, Stefanik K, Kaufman J, Cotter DJ. Epoetin requirements predict mortality in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 44:866-876, 2004.
- Jamison RL, Hartigan P, Gaziano JM, Fortmann SP, Goldfarb DS, Haroldson JA, Kaufman J, Lavori P, McCully KS, Robinson K. Design and statistical issues in the homocysteinemia in kidney and end stage renal disease (HOST) Study. Clin Trials 1:451-460, 2004.
- Dember LM. Kaufman JS, Beck GJ, Dixon BS, Gassman JJ, Greene T, Himmelfarb J, Hunsicker LG, Kusek JW, Lawson JH, Middleton JP, Radeva M, Schwab SJ, Whiting JF, Feldman HI for the DAC Study Group. Design of the Dialysis Access Consortium (DAC) clopidogrel prevention of early AV fistula thrombosis trial. Clin Trials 2:413-422, 2005.
- Dixon BS, Beck GJ, Dember LM, Depner TA, Gassman JJ, Greene T, Himmelfarb J, Hunsicker LG, Kaufman JS, Lawson JH, Meyers CM, Middleton JP, Radeva M, Schwab SJ, Whiting JF, Feldman HI for the DAC Study Group. Design of the Dialysis Access Consortium (DAC) Aggrenox prevention of access stenosis trial. Clin Trials 2:400-412, 2005.
- Hynes DM, Stroupe KT, Kaufman JS, Reda DJ, Peterman A, Browning MM, Huo Z, Sorbrara D, for the ESRD cost study. Adherence to guidelines for ESRD anemia management. Am J Kidney Dis 47:455-461, 2006.
- Thamer M, Zhang Y, Kaufman J, Stefanik K, Cotter DJ. Factors influencing route of administration for epoetin treatment among hemodialysis patients in the United States. Am J Kidney Dis 48:77-87, 2006
- O’Hare AM, Bertenthal D, Walter LC, Garg AX, Covinsky K, Kaufman JS, Rodriguez RA, Allon M. When to refer patients with chronic kidney disease for vascular access surgery: Should age be a consideration? Kidney Int 71:555 61, 2007.
- Thamer M, Zhang Y, Kaufman J, Cotter D, Dong F, Hernan MA. Dialysis facility ownership and epoetin dosing in patients receiving hemodialysis. JAMA 297:1667-1674, 2007.
- Jamison RL, Hartigan P, Kaufman JS, Goldfarb DS, Warren SR, Guarino PD, Gaziano JM for the Veterans Affairs Site Investigators. Effect of homocysteine lowering on mortality and vascular disease in advanced chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 298:1163-1170, 2007.
- O’Hare AM, Choi AI, Bertenthal D, Bacchetti, P, Garg, AX, Kaufman JS, Walter LC, Mehta KM, Steinman MA, Allon M, McClellan, WM, Landefeld CS. Age affects outcomes in chronic kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2578-2565, 2007
- Cotter D, Zhang Y, Thamer M, Kaufman J, Hernan MA. The effect of epoetin dose on hematocrit. Kidney Int 73:347-353, 2008
- Dember LM, Beck GJ, Allon M, Delmez JA, Dixon BS, Greenberg A, Himmelfarb J, Vazquez MA, Gassman JJ, Greene T, Radeva MK, Braden GL, Ikizler TA, Rocco MV, Davidson IJ, Kaufman JS, Meyers CM, Kusek JW, Feldman HI for the Dialysis Access Consortium Study Group. Effect of Clopidogrel on Early Failure of Arteriovenous Fistulas for Hemodialysis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA 299:2164-217, 2008.