Kevin C. Wilson, M.D.
Faculty and Fellows
Associate Professor of Medicine
Medical School: University of Maryland School of Medicine
Internship: Massachusetts General Hospital
Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital
Fellowship: Boston University Medical Center
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Methodology of clinical practice guidelines
- Writing and grading evidence-based recommendations
- Systematic reviews
- Appraisal of evidence
- Presentation of evidence
- Critical Care Medicine
- General Pulmonary Medicine
Dr. Wilson attends in the Outpatient Pulmonary Medicine Clinic, Medical Intensive Care Unit, and Pulmonary Consultation Service at Boston Medical Center.
In addition, Dr. Wilson is the Senior Director of Documents and Medical Affairs for the American Thoracic Society (ATS). In this role, he oversees the development of clinical practice guidelines and other official documents for the ATS. Dr. Wilson is a clinical practice guideline methodologist who has expertise in appraising the literature, presenting the evidence, and writing and grading evidence-based recommendations. He has served as the methodologist for numerous clinical practice guideline panels, speaks publicly on topics related to evidence-based medicine, and teaches how to critically appraise the literature and apply evidence to clinical practice. As a result of his work, Dr. Wilson received the 2009 Clinical Teaching Award. Dr. Wilson is a former editor of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine for UpToDate, a popular online clinical reference.
- Strohl KP, Brown DB, Collop N, Han F, George G, Grunstein R, Kline L, Malhotra A, Pack A, Phillips B, Rodenstein D, Schwab R, Weaver T, and Wilson KW. An Official ATS Clinical Practice Guideline: Sleep Apnea, sleepiness, and driving risk. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; In press.
- Parsons JP, Hallstrand TS, Mastronarde JG, Kaminsky DA, Rundell K, Hull J, Storms W, Weiler JM, Cheek FM, Wilson KC, Anderson SD. An Official ATS Clinical Practice Guideline: Exercise-Induced Bronchoconstriction. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; In press.
- Wilson KC, Irwin R, File T, Guyatt GH, Schunemann HJ, Rabe K. Reporting and publishing guidelines. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2012; In press.
- Guyatt GH, Oxman A, Wilson KC, Wilt T, Antman E, Akl E, Gutterman D, Puhan M, Schunemann HJ. Synthesis, grading, and presentation of evidence in guidelines. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2012; In press.
- Wilson KC, Schunemann HJ. The Evidence Underlying Influenza Vaccination in Patients with Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med; 2011; 184:1314.
- Wilson KC, Schunemann HJ. The Evidence Underlying Performance Measures for Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 183:1454.
- Theodore AC and Wilson KC. An unseen danger: Frequency of posterior vessel wall penetration by needles during attempts to place internal jugular vein central catheters using ultrasound guidance. Crit Care Med 2010; 38(1): 345.
- Wilson KC. Flexible Bronchoscopy: Indications and contraindications. UpToDate (Ed, Rose, B). October 2010-current. Waltham, MA.
- Wilson KC. Flexible Bronchoscopy: Equipment, procedure, and complications. UpToDate (Ed, Rose, B). October 2010-October 2011. Waltham, MA.
- Wilson KC. Grading improves transparency and quality. CHEST 2008; 134:1107.
- Wilson KC and Farber HW. Propylene glycol accumulation during continuous intravenous lorazepam infusion in critically ill patients. J Intensive Care Med 2008; 23:413.
- Wilson KC, Hollingsworth, H. What’s New in Pulmonary, Critical Care Medicine, and Sleep Medicine. In: UpToDate, Rose, BD, UpToDate, Waltham, MA, October 2007-September 2012.
- Wilson KC. What’s New in Pulmonary, Critical Care Medicine, and Sleep Medicine. In: UpToDate, Rose, BD, UpToDate, Waltham, MA, February 2006-September 2007.
- Fisher KA, Serlin DM, Wilson KC, et al. Sarcoidosis-associated pulmonary hypertension: outcome with long-term epoprostenol treatment. Chest 2006; 130:1481.
- Wilson KC, Reardon C, Theodore AC, and Farber HW. Propylene glycol toxicity is a potentially life-threatening iatrogenic illness and a common cause of metabolic abnormality in MICU patients receiving intravenous benzodiazepines. CHEST. 2005; 128(3): 1674.
- Wilson KC, Cattell D, Wan Z, Rahangdale S, Sullivan BA, Cruikshank WW, and Center DM. Regulation of nuclear Prointerleukin-16 and p27Kip1 in primary human T lymphocytes. Cell Immunol 2005; 237:17-27.
- Wilson KC and Saukkonen JJ. Acute respiratory failure from abused substances. J Intensive Care Med 2004; 19: 183-93.
- Wilson KC, Center DM, and Cruikshank WW.The Effect of Interleukin-16 and its Precursor on T Lymphocyte Activation and Growth. Growth Factors 2004; 22: 97-104.
- Lynch EL, Little FF, Wilson KC, Center DM, and Cruikshank WW. Immunomodulatory cytokines in asthmatic inflammation. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 2003; 14: 489-502.
- Wilson KC, Center DM, Cruikshank WW, and Zhang Y. Binding of HTLV-1 Tax oncoprotein to the precursor of Interleukin-16, a Tcell PDZ Domain containing protein. Virology 2003; 306: 60-67.
- Wilson KC, Cruikshank WW, Center DM, and Zhang Y. The N-terminal domain of prointerleukin-16 contains a functional CcN motif. Biochemistry 2002; 41: 14306-12.
- Wilson KC, Bielska B, and Farber HW. Mycobacterium marinum osteomyelitis. Orthopedics 2002; 26: 332-333.
- Wilson KC, Guardino J, and Shapira OM. Pulmonary embolism as a presenting feature of cavo-atrial hepatocellular carcinoma. CHEST 2000; 116: 657-658.
- Wilson KC, Reardon C, and Farber HW. Propylene glycol toxicity from intravenous diazepam. New Engl J Med 2000; 343: 815.
- Wilson KC. The reflex action: a contribution of physiology to neurology. The Pharos; 1996; 59:34-36.
- Wilson KC. Discovery of blood circulation and the subsequent creation of the scientific method. The Pharos 1994; 57:33-35.
- Wilson KC and Finbloom DS. Interferon-gamma rapidly induces in human monocytes a novel DNA-binding factor that recognizes the gamma response region within the promoter of the gene for the high affinity Fc-gamma receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1992; 89: 11964-11968
- Wilson KC. Smoke and carbon monoxide inhalation. In, The Intensive Care Unit Manual, 2nd Edition (Eds, Lanken PN, Hanson CW, and Manaker S). Elsevier, St. Louis, MO. 2012. In press.
- Wilson KC, Mirabile-Levens, E, Saukkonen, JJ. Respiratory tract disorders related to alcohol and other drug use. In, Principles of Addiction Medicine: The Essentials, 4th Edition (Eds, Ries RK, Fiellin DA, Miller SC, Saitz R). American Society of Addiction Medicine, Chevy Chase, MD. 2011. Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins, Philadelphia. Wilson KC, Mirabile-Levens, E, Saukkonen, JJ. Respiratory tract disorders related to alcohol and other drug use. In, Principles of Addiction Medicine: The Essentials, 3rd Edition (Eds, Ries RK, Fiellin DA, Miller SC, Saitz R). American Society of Addiction Medicine, Chevy Chase, MD. 2009. Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins, Philadelphia. Pp.1031-1048.
- Little FF, Wilson KC , Berman JS, and Center DM. Lymphocyte- and macrophage-mediated inflammation in the lung. In, “Fishman’s Pulmonary Diseases and Disorders, 4th Edition”. (Eds. Fishman AP, Elias JA, Fishman JA, Grippi MA, Senior RM, and Pack AI). McGraw-Hill , New York , 2008. Pp.291-306.
- Wilson KC , Cruikshank WW, and Center DM. The Role of Chemokines in Lymphocyte Trafficking to Lymph Nodes of the Lung. In, “Chemokines of the Lung”. (Eds., Strieter R, Standiford T, Lefant C). Lung Biology in Health and Disease series. Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York , 2003. pp 47-64.
- Wilson KC , Center DM, and Cruikshank WW. Interleukin-16. In, “The Cytokine Handbook, 4th Edition.” (Eds., Thomson A. and Lotze M.). Academic Press, San Diego , 2003. pp 463-472.
- Wilson KC , Cruikshank WW, and Center DM. Interleukin-16. In, “Encyclopedia of Hormones”. (Eds., Henry HL and Norman AW.). Academic Press, San Diego , 2003. pp 1-9.
- Mirabile-Levens E, Wilson KC , and Saukkonen JJ. Pulmonary complications of addictive and abused substances. In, “Principles of Addiction Medicine, 3rd Edition”. (Eds., Graham AW and Schultz TK), American Society of Addiction Medicine, Chevy Chase , MD , 2003.pp 1123-1145.