Kevin C. Wilson, M.D.
Faculty and Fellows
Associate Professor of Medicine
Medical School: University of Maryland
Internship: Massachusetts General Hospital
Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital
Fellowship: Boston University Medical Center
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Group facilitation and project management
- Methodology of clinical practice guidelines
- Writing and grading evidence-based recommendations
- Systematic reviews
- Appraisal of evidence
- Presentation of evidence
- Critical Care Medicine
- General Pulmonary Medicine
Dr. Wilson attends in the Outpatient Pulmonary Medicine Clinic, Medical Intensive Care Unit, and Pulmonary Consultation Service at Boston Medical Center.
In addition, Dr. Wilson is the Chief of Documents and Patient Education for the American Thoracic Society (ATS). In this role, he oversees the development of clinical practice guidelines and other official documents for the ATS. Dr. Wilson is a clinical practice guideline methodologist who has expertise in appraising and summarizing evidence, and writing and grading evidence-based recommendations. He has served as the chair or methodologist for numerous clinical practice guideline panels, runs the ATS guideline methodology training program, speaks publicly on topics related to evidence-based medicine, and teaches how to critically appraise the literature and apply evidence to clinical practice. As a result of his work, Dr. Wilson received a Presidential Commendation from the ATS in 2013, won the Boston University Pulmonary Center Teaching Award in 2009, and was named a Clinical Expert by the ATS in 2007. Dr. Wilson is the former editor of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine for UpToDate, a popular online clinical reference.
Dr. Wilson is a product of the Maryland public schools. He attended Hammond High School in Columbia, Maryland, where he graduated in the top 5% of his class and received the prestigious county-wide Robert Davidson Student-Athlete of the Year Award for outstanding performances in baseball, basketball, track, and cross country. Dr. Wilson then attended the University of Maryland College Park and the University of Maryland School of Medicine, graduating first in his class from both schools while doing research at the National Institutes of Health. He went on to complete his internal medicine residency at Harvard’s Massachusetts General Hospital and his pulmonary and critical care fellowship at Boston University Medical Center.
Peer-reviewed, last five years:
- Garvey C, Boylan AM, Miller DL, Holland AE, Singh SJ, Spruijt MJ, Wilson KC, and Thomson CC. ATS/ERS Technical Standards: Summary for Clinicians. Field Walking Tests in Chronic Respiratory Diseases. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2015; in press.
- Celli BR, Decramer M, Wedzicha W, Wilson KC, et al. An Official ATS/ERS Research Statement: Research Questions in COPD. Am J Respir Crit Care Med & Eur Respir J 2015; In press.
- Welsh CH, Wang T, Lyu DM, Orr J, Meyer KC, Glanville AR, Verleden GM, Wilson KC, and Thomson CC. ATS/ERS/ISHLT Clinical Practice Guideline: Summary for Clinicians. Bronchiolitis Obliterans Syndrome. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2015; 12(1):118-119.
- Fan E, Cheek F, Chlan l, Gosselink R, Hart N, Herridge MS, Hopkins RO, Hough CL, Kress JP, Latronico N, Needham DM, Rich MM, Stevens RD, Wilson KC, Winkelman C, Zochodne DW, Ali NA. An Official ATS Clinical Practice Guideline: Diagnosis of ICU-acquired weakness. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2014; 190(12):1437-1446.
- Pasnick SD, Carlos WG, Arunachalam A, Celestin FM, Parsons JP, Hallstrand TS, Anderson SD, Wilson KC, and Thomson CC. ATS Clinical Practice Guideline: Summary for Clinicians. Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2014; 11(10):1651-1652.
- Hayes MH, Vedamurthy A, George G, Dweik R, Klings ES, Machado RF, Gladwin MT, Wilson KC, and Thomson CC. ATS Clinical Practice Guideline: Summary for Clinicians. Pulmonary Hypertension in Sickle Cell Disease. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2014; 11(9):1488-1489.
- Meyer KC, Raghu G, Verleden G, Corris P, Glanville A, Aurora P, Egan JJ, Arcasoy S, Aris R, Avery R, Belperio J, Behr J, Bhorade S, Boehler A, Chaparro C, Christie J, Dupont L, Estenne M, Fisher A, Garrity E, Glanville A, Hadjiliadis D, Hertz M, Husain S, Iversen M, Keshavjee S, Lama V, Levine DJ, Levine S, Lee J, Massard G, Mehta A, Nathan S, Orens J, Palmer S, Snell G, Stern M, Studer S, Sweet S, Tazelaar H, Whelan T, Wilkes D, Sweet S, Williams T, Wilson KC, Zamora M. An ATS/ERS/ISHLT Clinical Practice Guideline: Diagnosis and Management of Bronchiolitis Obliterans Syndrome. Eur Respir J 2014; 44(12):1479-1503.
- Angus DC, Deutschman CS, Hall JB, Wilson KC, Munro CL, Hill NS. Choosing Wisely in Critical Care: Maximizing Value in the Intensive Care Unit. (Crit Care Med, Chest, and Am J Crit Care – duplicate publication planned) CHEST 2014; 146(5):1142-1144.
- Thomson CC, Welsh C, Carno M, Wenzel S, Chung F, Brozek J, Wilson KC. ATS/ERS Clinical Practice Guideline: Summary for Clinicians. Severe Asthma. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2014; 11(6):996-997.
- Wilson KC, Gould, MK. Choosing Wisely in Pulmonary Medicine. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2014; 189(12):1451-1452.
- Kahn J, Gould MK, Krishnan JA, Wilson KC, Au DH, Cooke CR, Douglas IS, Feemster LC, Mularski RA, Slatore CG, Wiener RS. An Official ATS Workshop Report: The Development of Performance Measures from ATS Clinical Practice Guidelines. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2014; 11(4):684-693.
- Klings ES, Machado RF, Barst RJ, Morris CR, Mubarak KK, Gordeuk VR, Kato GJ, Ataga KI, Gibbs S, Castro O, Berman-Rosenzweig E, Sood N, Hsu L, Wilson KC, Telen MJ, DeCastro LM, Krishnamurti L, Steinberg MH, Badesch DB, Gladwin MT. An Official ATS Clinical Practice Guideline: Diagnosis Risk Stratification, and Management of Pulmonary Hypertension of Sickle Cell Disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 189(6):727-740.
- Strohl KP, Brown DB, Collop N, Han F, George G, Grunstein R, Kline L, Malhotra A, Pack A, Phillips B, Rodenstein D, Schwab R, Weaver T, Wilson KC. An Official ATS Clinical Practice Guideline: Sleep Apnea, sleepiness, and driving risk. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 187:1259-1266.
- Parsons JP, Hallstrand TS, Mastronarde JG, Kaminsky DA, Rundell K, Hull J, Storms W, Weiler JM, Cheek FM, Wilson KC, Anderson SD. An Official ATS Clinical Practice Guideline: Exercise-Induced Bronchoconstriction. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 187:1016-1027.
- Wilson KC, Irwin R, File T, Guyatt GH, Schunemann HJ, Rabe K. Reporting and publishing guidelines. Proc Am Thorac Soc Dec. 2012; 9:293-297.
- Guyatt GH, Oxman A, Wilson KC, Wilt T, Antman E, Akl E, Gutterman D, Puhan M, Schunemann HJ. Synthesis, grading, and presentation of evidence in guidelines. Proc Am Thorac Soc Dec. 2012; 9:25.-261.
- Wilson KC, Schunemann HJ. The Evidence Underlying Influenza Vaccination in Patients with Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med; 2011; 184:1314.
- Wilson KC, Schunemann HJ. The Evidence Underlying Performance Measures for Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 183:1454.