Allan J. Walkey, M.D., M.Sc.
Faculty and Fellows
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Director of Pulmonary and Critical Care Education
Medical School: University of Massachusetts Medical School
Internship: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Residency: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Fellowship: Boston University Medical Center
Other Post-doctoral Fellowships/Training: Boston University School of Medicine Clinical Research Training Program (CREST)
Master’s/PhD programs: Masters in Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Complications of critical illness
- Ventilator-associated lung injury/lung protective ventilation
- Ventilator associated pneumonia
- Atrial fibrillation during critical illness
- Critical care epidemiology
- Biomarkers of critical illness and respiratory failure
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Critical illness
- General Pulmonology
Original, peer reviewed articles:
- Walkey AJ, Ieong M, Alikhan M, Farber HW. Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing with Right-heart Catheterization in Patients with Systemic Sclerosis. Journal of Rheumatology. 2010 Jun 15. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20551099.
- Walkey AJ, Nair S, Papadopoulos S, Agarwal S, Reardon RC. Use of Airway Pressure Release Ventilation is Associated with a Reduced Incidence of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia in Patients with Pulmonary Contusion. Journal of Trauma, 2010 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 20526208
- Farber HW, Walkey AJ, O’Donnell MR. Ethical issues associated with globalization of placebo-controlled in pulmonary arterial hypertension. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2010 Jul;29(7):825-6. Epub 2010 Apr 24. PMID: 20018607
- Walkey AJ, Farber HW, O’Donnell C, Cabral HJ, Eagan JS, Philippides GJ. The Accuracy of the Central Venous Blood Gas for Acid-Base Monitoring. Journal of Intensive Care Medicine, 2010; 25:104-10.
- Walkey AJ, Summer R. Commentary on: Changes in serum adiponectin levels during critical illness: a preliminary report. Critical Care 2009; 13: R105. doi:10.1186/cc7941, epub 12/3/2009.
- Walkey AJ, Reardon CC, Sulis CA, Nace RN, Joyce-Brady, M. The Epidemiology of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia in the Long-Term Acute Care Hospital Setting. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2009; 30(4):319-24.
- Walkey AJ. Esophageal pressure in Acute Lung Injury [letter]. New England Journal of Medicine, 2009 Feb 19; 360(8):832; author reply 832-3.
- Feller-Kopman D, Walkey AJ, Berkowitz D, Ernst A. The Relationship of Pleural Pressure to Symptom Development During Therapeutic Thoracentesis. Chest 2006; 129: 1556-1560.
- Walkey AJ and Farber HW. Pulmonary Hypertension. In: Mckean S, Ross J, Dressler D, Brotman D, Ginsberg J, eds. Principles and Practice of Hospital Medicine: Critical Care. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, in press.
Dr. Walkey sees patients in theDoctor’s Office Building at Boston Medical Center.