Dear School of Public Health Students,

Are you considering attending a summer 2012 session, but are not sure how to pay for it? If so, please continue reading for summer loan options!

If you register for at least six credits in a degree program during one or over both summer sessions and you are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen, you may be able to obtain a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (DL). To request a summer loan:

Complete a Summer DL Request Form if you are a continuing student and meet ALL the following criteria:

* Filed the 2011-2012 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and
* Did not receive loans during the summer 2011 sessions and
* Are registered for the summer I session.

All others (including continuing students registering only for the summer II session) need to file the 2012-2013 FAFSA in addition to completing the Summer DL Request Form.

Both the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 FAFSA are available at You may complete the Summer DL Request Form available at our office, or download the form at and send it by mail or deliver it to us in Student Financial Services, 72 East Concord Street, Room A303, Boston, MA 02118.

For all students: PLEASE REGISTER before submitting your Summer DL Request Form.

Please remember that living expenses for summer classes cover only the length of your program.

You may also be eligible for a 2012 Summer Graduate Federal Direct PLUS. For more details, please visit (Student Financial Services is providing this information to you as an advisory and not as an official endorsement of the loan.)

There are also credit-based educational loans available to students registered for less than six credit hours, enrolled as non-degree students or for international students.

As always, if you have any questions regarding summer loan processing or your eligibility for loans, stop by or call us at (617) 638-5130.

Best regards,

Student Financial Services

Primary teaching affiliate
of BU School of Medicine