New GSDM Financial Aid Applicants
(2014-2015 Academic Year)
(Check Back on February 2, 2015 for Information About the 2015-2016 Academic Year)
Please note the following:
- There is no application deadline for financial aid; however, students are encouraged to complete the application process prior to Wednesday, April 16, 2014 in order to secure funding prior to the billing deadline.
- SFS is not responsible for late fees that may accrue should students not secure ample financial aid prior to the bill deadline.
Applying for Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans
Available only to US Citizens, Permanent Residents and Eligible Non-Citizens.
1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
a. The FAFSA is required for federal aid. You may apply for federal aid only if you choose.
b. Our school code for the FAFSA is 002130.
c. Do not submit estimated tax information on your FAFSA as this may delay the processing of your financial aid award.
d. No parental income information is required for the FAFSA.
2. Complete the 2014-2015 William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Request Form.
a. Request form is available on the SFS website www.bumc.bu.edu/osfs/webforms.
b. Please mail a signed copy of this form to our office.
Applying for Boston University Need-Based Loans
Available only to DMD and AS students who are US Citizens, Permanent Residents and Eligible Non-Citizens. (Post-doctoral students are not eligible to apply for Boston University Need-Based Loans.)
1. Please complete the NeedAccess Application at www.needaccess.org.
a. This application is required for institutional need-based aid. Note: institutional aid will not be awarded without completion of NeedAccess and the FAFSA.
2. Submit a signed copy of your completed 2013 federal tax return with all schedules and copies of your W-2 forms.
a. Federal tax information only – should non-required documentation be received, it will be destroyed.
b. If you were not required to file federal taxes, this step of the application is not required.
c. Please submit documentation with our Coversheet.
i. Documents may be submitted via:
1. Mail: Student Financial Services, 72 East Concord Street, A-303, Boston, MA 02118
2. Fax: SFS-GSDM, 617-638-5116
3. Email: email@example.com
3. Submit a signed copy of all pages of your completed parental 2013 federal tax return form and copies of their original W-2 forms.
a. We offer an exception to the parental information requirement for applicants who meet one of the following criteria:
i. Born on or before January 1, 1984
ii. Married or divorced
iii. Have child/children
b. Any exceptional circumstances should be included in a letter that you may submit with your tax information.