SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
BUSM offers need-based aid for those who complete the financial aid process by deadline – our application deadline is Friday April 12, 2013, or 45 days after BUSM admission, whichever is later. Student Financial Services requires completion of the following to be considered for need-based financial aid – please note that it is important that you (and parents if applicable) complete your federal taxes prior to submitting a financial aid application.
All steps must be completed in order to be provided with a Financial Aid Award Letter.
First Time Financial Aid Applicants:
1. www.fafsa.ed.gov – Our school code is 002130 – this is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please do not submit estimated tax information on your FAFSA as this may delay the processing of your financial aid award.
2. www.needaccess.org – Our online application for need-based and federal financial aid.
3. Submit a signed copy of all pages of your (and spouse if applicable) completed 2012 federal tax return form and copies of your original W-2 forms.
4. Submit a signed copy of all pages of your completed parental 2012 federal tax return form and copies of your original W-2 forms.
• We do offer an exception to the parental information requirement for applicants who meet one of the following criteria:
• Born on or before January 1, 1983
• Married or divorced
• Have child/children
• Any exceptional circumstances should be included in a letter that you may submit with your tax information.
5. All tax documentation should be mailed to the following address:
Student Financial Services
72 East Concord Street, A-303
Boston, MA 02118
Please use our Coversheet if you are sending documents to our office.
• Please allow a minimum of 10 business days to receive your financial aid award once you have submitted your application and supporting documentation.
• You may fax documents to SFS-MED: (617) 638-5116. You may email documents to: email@example.com.
o Please be advised that fax and email are insecure modes of contact. We suggest you mail your documents to our office for your own security.
• No state tax information is required.
o Financial aid information that is submitted and not required for the student’s financial aid application will be destroyed for security purposes.
• If you were not required to file a 2012 federal tax return, complete steps 1 and 2 only.
Continuing Financial Aid Applicants:
1. www.fafsa.ed.gov – Our school code is 002130 – this is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are not required to complete the NeedAccess application after the first year, and will receive a similar financial aid award each successive year. Please do not submit any student or parent tax documentation to Student Financial Services.
2. Continuing Student Application for Financial Assistance – Students are not required to complete the NeedAccess application if they have completed the NeedAccess application in a previous year.