Exit Counseling is designed to assist you with understanding your specific loan terms and conditions as well as establishing a loan repayment option suitable to your financial capabilities. Awareness of your loan options, rights and responsibilities is crucial to successful repayment.
You MUST complete Exit Counseling if you:
- Register less than half-time
- Take a Leave of Absence
- Transfer to another institution
Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loan borrowers can complete Exit Counseling electronically at www.studentloans.gov. If you received any BU need-based loans during your education at BUMC, you are required to meet with a SFS staff member in addition to completing your online Direct Loan requirement. It is recommended that you complete the Federal Exit Counseling prior to attending a session. BU Exit Counseling requirements operate differently for each school:
- Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine students attend one of three presentations during Integrated Problems and Practice Management as a part of the SPS Sign-Out process.
- School of Medicine students attend a Careers in Medicine presentation in April of their graduating year.
Date: Thursday, April 3
Time: 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Location: School of Medicine / Keefer Auditorium
- School of Public Health students must schedule an individual appointment or attend a group session with SFS to complete Exit Counseling. Please check back here in April for dates and times.
If you are a Federal Direct Loan ONLY borrower and have questions following your online Exit Counseling, you can schedule an individual session with SFS.
During your individual or group Exit Counseling session, you will:
- Be given a Loan Borrowing Summary detailing prior and current education loan debt with repayment amounts
- Learn about the terms and repayment conditions of the loans you were awarded
- Receive a copy of BU promissory note(s)
- Receive lender contact information
- Provide references for student contact information purposes only
- Authorize the receipt and understanding of the information presented by a SFS staff member
It is our goal to present you with information to effectively manage your student loan debt in the years ahead. Although the information we provide during your Exit Counseling Session is the most current, requirements governing loan programs and repayment are always subject to interpretation and regulatory or legislative revisions. It is therefore very important that you read all communications from lenders and servicers notifying you of any changes.
Helpful Links – PLEASE NOTE: These documents require Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have it, download it free at www.adobe.com.
BU Loan Exit Counseling Session Form: To be completed if you received any BU need-based loans.