UNITED STATES MEDICAL STUDENTS & GRADUATES:
Thank you for your interest in the Boston University Medical Center Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program. All applicants must be scheduled to graduate from an accredited U.S. Medical School or equivalent thereof by May/June. All applicants must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The Program does not require any additional information nor will we accept any information outside of the ERAS requirements. For more information on ERAS please visit www.aamc.org.
The Boston University Medical Center Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Training Program is fully accredited by the ACGME. The program consists of one year of General Surgery, commencing in June, followed by four years’ of training in Orthopaedic Surgery.
- A completed application sent from the ERAS postmaster no later than November 1st
- An official medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation minimum (preferably from Orthopaedic Surgeons). Additional letters are accepted
- USMLE Step I & II results (Step II CK & CS must be completed in order to obtain a Massachusetts Limited License, therefore all results for Step II are needed to be ranked – USMLE results must be uploaded in ERAS)
- Personal statement
- Dean’s Letter
All applications received through ERAS will be considered for the five-year residency program. Only one application is needed regardless of what program you apply to. If you are applying for the six year program, be sure you select both tracks when submitting your ERAS Application. The six-year position through the NRMP Match will be offered to the applicant before the Match Rank Order submission deadline. Applicants not offered interviews for the 5-year program will not be considered for the 6-year program.
Only completed applications will be given to the resident selection committee for consideration. You will be notified by email before Thanksgiving whether your application was considered for an interview. An orientation and interview session is held in early January.
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Boston University Medical Center accepts candidates through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL STUDENTS & GRADUATES
The program will accept applications from International Medical Graduates. Application requirements include the following:
- A completed ERAS application
- A minimum of three Letters of Recommendation. Additional letters will be accepted. It is recommended that you obtain a Chairman’s letter
- USMLE results (all Steps required for ECFMG)
- ECFMG Certification must be obtained by the time of ranking (end of January)
NO ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE OF ERAS IS REQUIRED
We do not have a formal policy regarding the maximum number of years between medical school and your application to the residency program, however the fewer number of years since your graduation from medical school will make your application more competitive.
The program will review your application just as we review US medical student applications.
If you have further questions, please contact the Graduate Medical Education Coordinator at 617-638-8934 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.