All BUMC/BMC human researchers must be recertified every three years. Individuals with expired training will not be permitted to submit new protocols to the IRB, nor be named on any new protocols, nor added to existing protocols until the recertification requirements have been met. Details of the certification requirements can be found on the page entitled Human Subjects Protection Training.
Who needs to be recertified?
All faculty and staff who are engaged in human research, who are employed by BUSM, BUSPH, BUGSDM, or Boston Medical Center, and whose training has expired or is about to expire. Trainees (students, house officers, post-docs) who are named on BUMC/BMC IRB protocols must also be recertified. In addition, because the BUMC/BMC IRB is their IRB of record, human researchers at the Boston Public Health Commission and at any of the Boston HealthNet Community Health Centers must also be recertified. If you fall into one of these groups, you will need to complete recertification.
Who does not need to be recertified?
There are two groups who do not need to be recertified:
- BUMC/BMC faculty, staff, and trainees who are primarily based at a VA facility who wish to be named on a protocol being reviewed by the BUMC/BMC IRB do not need to complete the BUMC/BMC recertification process. We will accept documentation that they have completed the VA’s CITI certification/recertification program. These VA-based investigators must email a copy of their up-to-date VA CITI recertification form to email@example.com with an explanatory email.
- Clinical researchers whose primary affiliation is at another institution but who are named on a BUMC/BMC IRB protocol (for example, a collaborator at Brigham and Women’s Hospital) do not need to complete our BUMC recertification. They would, however, be expected to meet any recertification requirements of their home institutions.
How to get recertified?
– If your training, that has expired or is about to expire, was not obtained through CITI under the “Boston University Medical Campus/Boston Medical Center” institution (i.e. obtained from another institution other than “Boston University Medical Campus/Boston Medical Center)”, then you need to follow this link which provides directions for accessing the CITI web site where training courses are offered that allow investigators to become “Certified” and “Recertified.” Note: If your last recertification was through the CR Times training, you will need to complete the CITI initial training (see instructions).
– If your training, that has expired or is about to expire, was obtained through CITI under the “Boston University Medical Campus/Boston Medical Center” institution, then CITI will send you email reminders close to the course’s expiration date and will create a refresher course for you to complete on your CITI Home page under the “Boston University Medical Campus/Boston Medical Center” institution. In this case you would follow the instructions below for accessing the CITI web site and completing the “refresher course” that allow investigators to become “Recertified.” We suggest that you print this page before navigating to the CITI website. The instructions below will be helpful to you as you navigate on that site.
My training, that has expired or is about to expire, was completed using CITI under Boston University Medical Campus/Boston Medical Center and my Refresher course is now due:
- Navigate to: https://www.citiprogram.org/
- Log in into your existing CITI account using the username and password you previously registered with. This should take you to the Main Menu of your CITI account.
- If there are no options visible under “Boston University Medical Campus/Boston Medical Center Courses”, click on “Boston University Medical Campus/Boston Medical Center Courses” to show the available courses.
- You will see all your courses listed under “Boston University Medical Campus/Boston Medical Center Courses”. Find the refresher course related to the training that has expired or is about to expire and that has a status of “Not started” or “Incomplete” and click on the course name to take its refresher course.
- You should notice that the first module listed under “Required Modules” is clickable now. Click on the module to start reading it and taking the quiz.
As soon as one module is completed, the next module (if there is one) will be available or clickable.
Once you pass the refresher course, the system will email your certificate to the IRB on the next morning. There is no need for you to send the IRB a copy of your certificate unless specifically requested to do so by the IRB. Your CITI training information will automatically be uploaded the next morning directly into the IRB’s INSPIR system and into your INSPIR account if you already have one.