L-11 Testing Center (LTC) Boston University Medical Campus Policies and Procedures
The L-11 Testing Center on the 11th floor of the Instructional Building seats up to 220 students and is used extensively by the Schools of Medicine (and the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences), Public Health, and Dental Medicine throughout the academic year. To ensure comfort and security, please abide by the following policies and procedures during examinations.
Students may bring the following items into the testing center:
- BUSM student ID & pocket wallet
- Laptop Computers & power supply
- Soft-foam earplugs. Ear plugs must be left at the work station during all breaks.
Students may not have the following items on their person, at their seat, or in the testing facility:
- Electronic devices that can transmit, store, or receive information including but not limited to cellular phones, pagers, digital watches, cameras, video recorders, iPads, iPods, or electronic organizers.
- Outerwear, such as coats, jackets, head wear, gloves. Students must remove any hats or hoods except for religious or cultural head attire (e.g., turban, hijab, and yarmulke).
- Book/computer bags, backpacks, handbags, briefcases, and purses.
- Books, pens, notes, written materials, or scratch paper.
- Drinks, food, candy, gum, or beverages. If informed prior to the exam, the head proctor may allow cough drops or other comfort measures for a student who is ill.
Storage of these personal items in the hallways or on the LTC floor is not allowed (fire hazard). Students who do not have lockers or an alternative storage location must leave their bags, liquid containers (with screw-on, leak-proof tops and identification), and other personal items in L-1102 (the Vending/Coffee Lounge) without placing items on tables/chairs/workspaces.
- Discard all other liquid containers in the hallway trash receptacle.
- L-1102 is not a secured space and the LTC can take no responsibility for personal items left there.
- Any wireless devices (e.g. cellphones) being left in L-1102 must be powered off or placed in airplane mode.
Use of Restroom: A student who needs to use the restroom must raise their hand and inform a proctor. Only one person will be allowed out of the room at a time.
Technical Difficulties: Students who experience technical difficulties during the exam must raise their hand and inform a proctor.
- For ExamSoft exams, Ed Media technical staff will provide technical support in the L-1102 lounge. Quietly unplug your computer, inform a proctor, and bring your computer to the lounge for troubleshooting. Ed Media may call the vendor if needed.
- For NBME-Shelf exams, library and/or IT technical staff will provide support in the exam area; proctors can get their assistance when needed.
Reentry: Students may not reenter the LTC once they have completed a test session and left the exam space.
Hallway Noise: Please exit the 11th floor via the elevators or stairways located at either end of the hallway, as soon as you complete your exams. While leaving the LTC, please refrain from conversation and other disruptive behavior. Be courteous to those who may be still taking their exams.