Boston Area Health Education Center
- Boston Area Health Education Center (BAHEC), BAHEC, is part of the Massachusetts Area Health Education Center (MassAHEC) Network, whose mission is to address health care disparities with a focus on workforce development. Through the Division of Child and Adolescent Health at the Boston Public Health Commission, BAHEC serves as a program for under-represented minority youth in Boston that provides knowledge and awareness about health-related careers in an effort to increase the number of youth from underserved populations who successfully pursue careers in health-related fields.
- Under the umbrella program of BEAMS, career exploration and mentoring for high-school students enrolled in BAHEC is provided through the Department of Medical Sciences & Education at Boston University School of Medicine. In collaboration with the School of Medicine (BUSM), Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS), Goldman School of Dental Medicine (GSDM), and the School of Public Health (SPH), we provide innovative educational programs with the aim of sparking interest among high-school students in health-care careers during summer sessions and during the academic school year. The Summer Enrichment Program is a 6-week session, during which BAHEC students participate in a variety of STEM- and healthcare-related activities through weekly electives that focus on experiential and hands-on learning. The Summer Session also includes special events with a Health Care Expo at the beginning of the session and a Student Showcase which concludes the session. During the school year, similar educational programming is provided in after-school electives in the fall and spring semesters. This programming also includes collaboration with undergraduate students in the BU Kilachand Honors College.
- BAHEC Summer Enrichment Program
- BAHEC After-School Academic Year Program
- Introduction to Medicine
- Introduction to Dentistry
- Global Health