MD, Seth G. S. Medical College, KEM hospital, Mumbai, India
General field of research:
Plasma cell dyscrasia, Amyloidosis
820 Harrison Avenue, FGH 1007
Phone: (617)-638 7017
Fax: (617)-414 1831
Other research websites:
AL amyloidosis; Myeloma; Plasma cell dyscrasia; High-dose chemotherapy; Stem cell transplantation; Clinical trials
Summary of research interest:
Dr. Vaishali Sanchorawala is the Director of the Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation Program at Boston University Medical Center. She has been affiliated with the Amyloid Treatment and Research Program of the Boston University School of Medicine since 1994. She has been one of the pioneers in the field of clinical research in AL amyloidosis. Her work in the treatment of primary systemic amyloidosis has been published in many peer-reviewed journals, which has resulted in the evolution of the standard of care for these patients. She is currently heading several clinical trials in the treatment of AL amyloidosis, one of which is being conducted nationally through the Southwest Oncology Group.
1. Salant DJ, Sanchorawala V, D’Agati VD. 2007. CJASN Clinicopathologic Conference: A case of atypical light chain deposition disease — diagnosis and treatment. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology; 2(4):858-67.
2. Sanchorawala V, Wright DG, Quillen K, Finn KT, Dember LM, Berk JL, Doros G, Fisher C, Skinner M, Seldin DC. 2007. Tandem cycles of high dose melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantation increased the response rate in AL amyloidosis. Bone Marrow Transplantation; 40:557-562.
3. Sanchorawala V, Skinner M, Quillen K, Finn KT, Doros G, Seldin DC. 2007. Long-term outcome of patients with AL amyloidosis treated with high-dose melphalan and stem cell transplantation. Blood; 110 (10):3561-3563.
4. Batts ED, Sanchorawala V, Hegerfeldt Y, Lazarus HM. 2008. Azotemia associated with use of lenalidomide in plasma cell dyscrasias. Leukemia Lymphoma; 49(6):1108-15.
5. Rosenzweig M, Seldin DC, Remick DG, Skinner M, Quillen K, Oran B, Finn KT, Sanchorawala V. 2009. Febrile reactions occurring with second cycle of high-dose melphalan and stem cell transplantation in patients with AL amyloidosis: A ‘Melphalan Recall’ reaction. Bone Marrow Transplantation; 15(2), 40.
6. Girnius S, Seldin DC, Skinner M, Finn KT, Quillen K, Doros G, Sanchorawala V. 2009. Hepatic response after high-dose melphalan and stem cell transplantation in patients with AL amyloidosis associated liver disease. Haematologica; 94(7): 1029–1032.
7. Reece D, Sanchorawala V, Hegenbart U, Merlini G, Palladini G, Fermand J, Vescio RA, Liu X, Elsayed YA, Cakana A, ComenzoRL. 2009. Weekly and twice-weekly bortezomib in patients with systemic AL-amyloidosis: results of a phase 1 dose-esclation study. Blood; 114(8):1489-9.
8. Tam M, Seldin DC, Forbes BM, Connors LH, Skinner M, Oran B, Quillen K, Sanchorawala V. 2009. Spontaneous rupture of the liver in a patient with systemic AL amyloidosis undergoing treatment with high-dose melphalan and stem cell transplantation: A case report with literature review. Amyloid, Journal of Protein Folding Disorders; 16(2): 103-107.