Jeffrey Samet, MD, MA, MPH
MD, Baylor College of Medicine
MPH, Boston University School of Public Health
General field of research:
HIV/AIDS; Drug and Alcohol Abuse
Affiliations other than medicine:
Evans Center for Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research
Section of General Internal Medicine
Clinical Addiction Research and Education Unit
Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Services: Boston Public Health Commission, American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM), American Board Addiction Medicine (ABAM)
Office and Lab:
Crosstown, 801 Massachusetts Ave, 2nd Floor, Boston MA 02118
Phone: (617)-414 7288
Fax: (617)-414 4676
Other research websites:
Alcohol; Drugs; HIV/AIDS
Summary of research interest:
Dr. Samet’s research addresses substance abuse and HIV infection from health services, behavioral, and epidemiological perspectives. He also has a longstanding commitment to educate physicians about substance abuse. Past and current areas of focus include delay in establishing medical care for those with HIV infection, linking substance abuse treatment and primary care, the impact of alcohol use on HIV-infected patients, and HIV prevention in Russia. He is currently the Principal Investigator on several NIAAA and NIDA-funded studies. Dr. Samet has authored over 140 peer-reviewed publications as well as the chapter on Drug Abuse and Dependence in Cecil’s Textbook of Medicine.
- Samet JH, Pace CA, Cheng DM, Coleman S, Bridden C, Pardesi M, Saggurti N, Raj A. Alcohol Use and Sex Risk Behaviors Among HIV-Infected Female Sex Workers (FSWs) and HIV-Infected Male Clients of FSWs in India. AIDS Behav. 2010;14:74-83. PMID: 20544381.
- Shanahan CW, Beers D, Alford DP, Brigandi E, Samet JH. A Transitional Opioid Program to Engage Hospitalized Drug Users. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Mar;25(8):803-8. doi: 10.1007/s11606-010-1311-3.
- Freiberg MS, McGinnis KA, Kraemer K, Samet JH, Conigliaro J, Curtis Ellison R, Bryant K, Kuller LH, Justice AC; VACS Project Team. The association between alcohol consumption and prevalent cardiovascular diseases among HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected men. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010 Feb 1;53(2):247-53. PMID: 20009766.
- Cook RL, McGinnis KA, Samet JH, Fiellin DA, Rodriquez-Barradas MC, Kraemer KL, Gibert CL, Braithwaite RS, Goulet JL, Mattocks K, Crystal S, Gordon AJ, Oursler KK, Justice AC. Erectile dysfunction drug receipt, risky sexual behavior and sexually transmitted diseases in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected men. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Feb;25(2):115-21. Epub 2009 Nov 18. PMID: 19921112.
- Williams EC, Palfai T, Cheng DM, Samet JH, Bradley KA, Koepsell TD, Wickizer TM, Heagerty PJ, Saitz R. Physical Health and Drinking Among Medical Inpatients With Unhealthy Alcohol Use: A Prospective Study. Alc Clin Exp Res. 2010; 34:257-1265. PMID: 20477765.
- Samet JH, Walley AY. Can One be an Expert in Addiction Medicine Without Expertise in Pain Management? Addiction. 2009; 103:2006-2007.
- Walley AY, Farrar D, Cheng DM, Alford DP, Samet JH. Are opioid dependence and methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) documented in the medical record? A patient safety issue. J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24:1007–11.
- Raj A, Cheng DM, Krupitsky EM, Coleman S, Bridden C, Samet JH. Correlates of any condom use among Russian narcology patients reporting recent unprotected sex. AIDS and Behav. 2009; 13:310-317
- Raj A, Cheng DM, Krupitsky EM, Levenson S, Egorova VY, Meli S, Zvartau EE, Samet JH. Binge drinking and unsafe sex: a study of narcology hospital patients from St. Petersburg, Russia. Substance Abuse. 2009; 30:1-10.
- Kim TW, Alford DP, Malabanan AO, Holick MF, Samet JH. Low Vitamin D Status in Methadone Maintenance Patients J Addict Med. 2009; 3:134-138.
- Cheng DM, Libman H, Bridden C, Saitz R, Samet JH. Alcohol consumption and lipodystrophy in HIV-infected adults with alcohol problems. Alcohol. 2009; 43:65-71.
- Bertholet N, Cheng DM, Palfai TP, Samet JH, Saitz, R. Does readiness to change predict subsequent alcohol consumption in medical inpatients with unhealthy alcohol use? Addict Behav 2009; 34:636-640. PMID: 19428189.
- Alford D, Bridden C, Jackson A, Saitz R, Amodeo M, Barnes H, Samet JH. Promoting substance use education among generalist physicians: An evaluation of the Chief Resident Immersion Training (CRIT) program. Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24:40-47.