Joanne Murabito, MD, ScM
BA, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY. Biology
MD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY. Medicine
ScM, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA. Epidemiology
General field of research:
Cardiovascular disease epidemiology, aging, reproductive aging, genetic epidemiology
Affiliations other than medicine:
Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, MA
The Framingham Heart Study, 73 Mount Wayte Avenue, Suite 2, Framingham, MA 01702
Phone: (508) 935-3461
FAX: (508) 626-1262
Doctor’s Office Building, Suite 503, Boston, MA 02118; (617) 638-7970
Other research website:
Aging, longevity, reproductive aging (menarche, menopause), peripheral artery disease, risk factors
Summary of research interests:
Dr. Murabito is an Associate Professor of Medicine at Boston University School of Medicine and Director of the Research Clinic at the Framingham Heart Study. Dr Murabito is the recipient of R01 and R21 grant awards from the NIH/NIA to examine the epidemiology and genetics of longevity and healthy aging and reproductive aging. Her research interests also include the epidemiology and genetics of peripheral artery disease. Dr Murabito is a member of the Genetics of Longevity Consortium sponsored by NIA.
1. Newman AB, Walter S, Lunetta KL ……. Murabito JM. A meta-analysis of four genome-wide association studies of survival to age 90 years or older: the Cohorts for Heart and Aging Research in Genomic Epidemiology Consortium. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010;65:478-487.
2. Murabito JM, Pencina MJ, Zhu L et al. Temporal trends in self-reported functional limitations and physical disability among the community-dwelling elderly population: the Framingham heart study. Am J Public Health. 2008;98:1256-1262.
3. Perry JR, Stolk L, Franceschini N …….Murabito JM. Meta-analysis of genome-wide association data identifies two loci influencing age at menarche. Nat Genet. 2009.
4. Elks CE, Perry JR, Sulem P ……..Murabito JM*, Ong KK*, Murray A*. Thirty new loci for age at menarche identified by a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies. Nat Genet. 2010;42:1077-1085.
5. Murabito JM, Yang Q, Fox C et al. Heritability of age at natural menopause in the Framingham Heart Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:3427-3430.
6. Fowkes FG, Murray GD, Butcher I ……Murabito JM….et al. Ankle brachial index combined with Framingham Risk Score to predict cardiovascular events and mortality: a meta-analysis. JAMA. 2008;300:197-208.
7. Murabito JM, Evans JC, D’Agostino RB, Sr. et al. Temporal trends in the incidence of intermittent claudication from 1950 to 1999. Am J Epidemiol. 2005;162:430-437.
8. Murabito JM, Guo CY, Fox CS et al. Heritability of the ankle-brachial index: the Framingham Offspring study. Am J Epidemiol. 2006;164:963-968.
9. Fox CS, Massaro JM, Schlett CL…..Murabito JM. Periaortic fat deposition is associated with peripheral arterial disease: the Framingham heart study. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2010;3:515-519.