Ioana Bica, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
1989 M.D. Universitatea Carol Davila, Bucharest, Romania
1989-1990 PGY-1 in Infectious Diseases, Spital Colentina, Bucharest, Romania
1990-1992 PGY-2, -3 in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Spital Central Municipal, Bucharest, Romania
1995-1996 Intern in Medicine, Memorial Hospital, Worcester, MA
1996-1998 Resident, University of Massachusetts Memorial Health Care, Worcester, MA
1998-2001 Clinical and Research Fellow, New England Medical Center, Boston, MA
General Field of Work:
Affiliations other than medicine:
Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program
Jean Yawkey Place
780 Albany Street
Boston, MA 02118
Office and Lab: 850 harrison Avenue, Dowling 3109; Boston MA 02118
hepatitis C coinfection
Summary of academic interest:
Hepatitis C infection and hepatitis C-HIV coinfection: epidemiology, clinical aspects and management
HIV infection: clinical aspects, antiretroviral drug resistance
Clinical aspects of Orthopedic Infections
1. Bica I, McGovern B, Dhar R, Stone D, McGowan K, Scheib R, Snydman DR. Increasing mortality due to end-stage liver disease in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2001 Feb 1;32(3):492-7.
2. McGovern B, Bica I, Snydman DR, McGowan K, Stone D. Reply. Clin Infect Dis 2001 Nov 15;33(10):1796-7.
3. McGovern B, Bica I. Letter to the editor: Risk of HAART therapy in hepatitis C. Hepatology 2002 Mar;35(3):730.
4. Bica I, Tang AM, Skinner S, Spiegelman D, Knox T, Gorbach S, Wilson IB. Use of complementary and alternative therapies by patients with human immunodeficiency virus disease in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Altern Complement Med, 2003 Feb; 9(1); 65.
5. McGovern B, Bica I. Should treatment of hepatitis C in HIV-seropositive and HIV-seronegative patients with hemophilia include induction doses of interferon? Clin Infect Dis. 2003 Aug 1;37(3):463-4; author reply 464-5.
6. Jacobson DL, Bica I, Knox TA, Wanke C, Tchetgen E, Spiegelman D, Silva M, Gorbach S, Wilson IB. Difficulty swallowing and lack of receipt of highly active antiretroviral therapy predict acute weight loss in human immunodeficiency virus disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2003 Nov 15;37(10):1349-56. Epub 2003 Oct 13.
7. McGovern B, Fiore J, Wurcel A, Taglienti P, Bradley M, Galvin S, Libone G, Ramsey J, Molinaro-Gudas V, Drewniak S, Amick C, Andalkar A, Scheft H, Bica I. Delivering therapy for hepatitis C virus infection to incarcerated HIV-seropositive patients. J Clin Infect Dis. 2005 July 1;41(1) pS56(7).
8. McGovern B, Wurcel A, Kim AY, Schulze zur Wiesch J, Bica I, Zaman T, Timm J, Walker BD, Lauer GM. Acute Hepatitis C in Incarcerated Injection Drug Users. Clin Infect Dis. 2006 Jun 15;42(12):1663-70. Epub 2006 May 6.