The following instructions detail transfer methods for LinGA and a remote source running Microsoft Windows.
FileZilla is a cross-platform open-source FTP and SFTP client that will facilitate file transfers from your local machine to LinGA.
FileZilla can be downloaded from the filezilla-project website: http://filezilla-project.org
In the Quickconnect bar, enter the following and click QuickConnect.
- Host: redstar.bumc.bu.edu (or any of LinGA’s clusters)
- Username: Your_BU_Username
- Password: Your_LinGA_Password
- Port: 22
Alternatively, open the “Site Manager” (first button in the top row) and save the configuration settings.
Once connected, change the “Local Site” path to a directory on your computer and the “Remote Site:” path to a directory on LinGA’s storage system. Typical paths include:
Files can be dragged between the local and remote sources as desired. Transfer information is displayed on the bottom of the application. Be sure to disconnect when finished.
- WinSCP is a free GUI transfer software application for Windows. It can be downloaded from http://winscp.net/eng/download.php.
- Open WinSCP.
- Enter the following Session Information:
•Host name: redstar.bumc.bu.edu (RedStar as an example)
•Port Number: Leave at 22
•User name: BU Kerberos username
•Password: Leave blank
•File protocol: Leave as SFTP
•Allow SCP feedback: Leave as checked
- Under Remote directory, you can put whatever directory you find to be most convenient to store. Normally, that path is /data/home/username where username is your BU Kerberos username.
- Click Save
- Click yes to accept the security keys.
- ExpanDrive is an online storage software application, for both Windows and Mac. Information about a 30-day trial and purchase can be found here: https://secure.expandrive.com/.
- Once installed, open ExpanDrive.
- Enter the following for the main menu:
•Server: redstar.bumc.bu.edu (RedStar as an example)
•Username: BU Kerberos username
•Password: BU Kerberos password
•Save Password: can be checked based on preference
•Drive Letter: L
Click the drop-down menu under Directory
- Under Remote mount point, you can put whatever directory you find to be most convenient to store. Normally, that path is /data/home/username where username is your BU Kerberos username.
- Click OK
- Click Connect .
- Once connected, you will see a removable drive on your computer designated as the Drive Name you chose on the main menu.
Win-sshfs creates a SSH(SFTP) filesystem using the Dokan and .NET libraries. It enables Microsoft Windows to mount remote computers (like LinGA) via SFTP protocol as windows network drives. This allows for convenient browsing within Windows Explorer. *
*Please note that in preliminary testing, transfer speeds are slower than other methods (~280 KB/sec).
- Prereq: .NET 4 Framework (Included in Windows 8, but NOT 7)
- Prereq: Dokan Library (0.6.0+)
- Installer: win-sshfs
Install Dokan Library
Launch the installer, agree to the terms and click through the setup. When complete, close the install window and any explorer window that appears, you do not need to do anything with this library once installed.
Launch the installer, accept the agreement, and click next through the installer. When completed, a new icon will appear in the system tray on the lower-right of your screen.
Click the icon in the system tray or launch the application from the start menu.
- Drive Name: The name of the drive that will appear in “My Computer,” can be anything.
- Host: Any of LinGA’s clusters
- Port (default): 22
- Username: Your BU Username
- Authentication Method (default): Password
- Password: Your LinGA Password
- Directory: The directory on LinGA you wish to map, usually one of the following:
Enter the settings as described above and click Mount. After a few seconds, the drive will be mounted and the Mount button will change to an Unmount button. You can close the window and it will disappear to the system tray and stay running. Open Computer\My Computer and look for the a new drive with the name you specified. In the example above, it is “LinGA.”