Using BU (802.1x) with the BlackBerry
- From the home screen click on the Manage Connections icon.
- If your Wi-Fi connection is turned off, click on the checkbox next to Wi-Fi to turn it on.
- Next, scroll down to Set Up Wi-Fi Network.
- Click Next.
- Click on Scan for Networks.
- Scroll down to BU (802.1x) and click on it.
- Make sure Security Type is PEAP.
- Under user name, type in your BU login name.
- Under password, type in you Kerberos password.
- Under CA certificate, select Thawte Premium Server CA.
- Scroll down to Connect and click.
- Once you get the Connection Successful screen, press Next.
- Click Finish.
You should now be connected to the BU (802.1x) wireless network.
Configuring E-mail on your BlackBerry
A BlackBerry device is able to synchronize your your inbox/e-mail folders, contacts/address books, calendars, notes, and tasks.
Using a BU-owned BlackBerry
If you are using a BU-provided BlackBerry, we will order, provision, and setup your device so that when you get the device all services will be working.
Using your own BlackBerry
With IMAP (e-mail only)
You can receive your BU Exchange e-mail via IMAP with the settings below. Note that IMAP access does not provide integration with Exchange Calendar or Contacts.
- The incoming IMAP mail server is xmail.bu.edu with SSL (port 993).
- The SMTP server is smtp.bu.edu with SSL (port 465).
With the BU Exchange Server
If you are planning to purchase your own personal BlackBerry device but wish to use it with your BU Exchange account, please make sure (through your wireless telecom service provider) that you have the BES unlimited data plan. Once you have verified that, request a wireless activation password from your local computer support person.
1. You will need to wipe the BlackBerry device so that there is no lingering mobile connectivity information on the device. To wipe the device:
- Expand the menu on your BlackBerry device using the menu button.
- Go to Options.
- Go to Security Options.
- Go to General.
- Show the menu on your BlackBerry device by using the menu button.
- Press Wipe Handheld.
- You can check Erase Third Party Applications.
- Type BlackBerry to start this process
Once this is complete, your device will reboot.
2. Expand the menu on your BlackBerry device using the menu button.
- Go to Options.
- Go to Date & Time.
- Set the correct time zone.
- Go back to the main screen.
3. Once you have received the wireless activation password, you can follow the directions below to activate your device.
- Go to Options > Advanced Options > Enterprise Activation.
- Type in your e-mail address.
- Type in the wireless activation password provided to you.
- Click on menu and hit Activate.