Office Issues Due to Microsoft Update
On 11/11, Microsoft released a Windows Security Update (KB3097877) that has caused connection issues between Outlook clients and the Exchange server, often resulting in an application crash. This has also been observed to affect other Office applications such as PowerPoint, Word, and Excel. If you are experiencing similar issues, please follow the instructions below:
- Click the Start icon or press the Windows key on your Keyboard
- Type “Windows Update” (without quotations) and click Windows Update
- If you see the message “1 important update is available”, click on “Install updates”. Let the installation run (this could take up to 10 minutes) and restart your computer when prompted by that window. Once you log back in, the issues should be resolved.
- If you do not see this message, click “View update history” in the left panel.
- In the top right, click on “Installed Updates”
- In the top right corner, in the “Search Installed Updates” field, type KB3097877 and hit enter
- Right click on update listed (“Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB3097877”) and select uninstall. Click yes when prompted.
- Let the uninstallation process run, and restart your computer when prompted.
- When you log back in, open up the Windows Update window again and select “Check for updates” in the left side-panel
- This check could take several minutes. Please be patient. When the check is complete, you should see the message “1 important update is available”. Click “Install updates” and let the installation process run.
- Restart your computer when prompted. Once you log back in, the issue should be resolved.
If you experience any issues, please feel free to contact our help desk at 617-638-5914 and one of our staff members can assist you.