Potential issues with HOD and UIS with tips to resolve
Recently, UIS users began experiencing access issues that were related to Java configurations on their systems. Either they were unable to access Host On-Demand (HOD) at all due to error messages (located at http://www.bu.edu/uis_web3270/), or the UIS terminal would simply load to a black screen and not bring them to the login screen. The usual fixes we had implemented in the past to solve Java issues with UIS would allow them to proceed to this black screen in many cases, but no further.
To resolve this issue if you experience it, try the following:
- On a PC, locate the application called “Configure Java.” In Windows 7, you can search for it using the search bar in your Start menu. It is located in “All Programs” within a folder called “Java.” On a Mac, open System Preferences and click on Java (towards the bottom).
- The Java Control Panel application should open in the “General” tab. Under the heading “Temporary Internet Files”, click the button that says “Settings…”
- A window will open called Temporary Files Settings. Uncheck the box that says “Keep temporary files on my computer.” Then click “OK” to close the window.
- Go to the “Security” tab.
- Click on “Edit Site List…” (towards the bottom).
- Ensure that http://www.bu.edu and https://www.bu.edu are in your site list. If they are not, you can add them using the “Add” button. Then click “OK” to close the window.
- Click the “Apply” button in the Java Control Panel. Then click “OK” to close the window.
- Quit any browsers you have open, then reopen them and try to access UIS again.
BUMC IT believes this may resolve the black screen issue for many users. If you still experience issues after trying these steps, or if you have any trouble following the steps and want our help, feel free to contact BUMC IT at 617-638-5914 or at email@example.com.