Overview of Study
How are the groups assigned?
- Eligible participants in this study will be randomly assigned – like flipping a coin-by a computer system into one of three treatment groups: yoga, physical therapy, or health education.
- Participants will not be able to switch treatment groups once the groups have been determined.
What is Yoga?
- Safe and gentle exercise that involves stretching, breathing and relaxing
- Increases strength, improves flexibility, reduces stress, and lifts mood (learn more about the yoga treatment group)
What is Physical Therapy?
- Safe treatment that involves stretching, increasing muscle strength and light aerobic exercise
- Increases mobility, builds strength and leads to greater flexibility (learn more about the physical therapy treatment group)
What is Health Education?
- Gaining knowledge and learning different strategies to improve attitudes and skills that lead to better health outcomes
- Learning different approaches for managing back pain (learn more about the education treatment group)
How long does the study last for?
- All participants will be asked to complete a total of 6 surveys over a one year period. Each survey takes about 60 minutes to complete.
Where will yoga and physical therapy classes take place?
- Yoga and physical therapy classes will take place at multiple sites (View Map)
Is there any compensation for participating in this study?
- Everyone can receive up to $400 for participating.
- Supplies for the treatment group is provided (e.g. yoga mat, strap, educational book).