Jacqueline Sharon, Ph.D.
B.A./M.A. Queens College, New York
Ph.D. Columbia University, New York
A major area of interest in the laboratory involves the generation of polyclonal antibody libraries directed against human tumors (colorectal and breast) or against infectious agents (Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Cryptosporidium parvum). These libraries are collections of standardized antibodies directed to many different antigens on the target cells, and are obtained by cloning antibody genes and expressing antibody fragments on the surface of bacteriophage, generating Fab phage display libraries. Phage particles displaying antibody fragments specific for the target cell population are recovered and the genes encoding the desired antibodies transferred in mass to other vectors suitable for expression of whole antibodies. We are interested in studying the efficacy of such polyclonal antibody libraries at identifying or eliminating the target cells, both in vitro and in vivo, in preclinical experimental animal studies. The future goal is to employ polyclonal antibody libraries for the treatment and diagnosis of cancer and infectious diseases in humans.
Another project deals with the purification and characterization of a novel cytotoxic factor from mouse and human sera. This factor affects primarily tumor cells.
- Rashid, A., H. Auchincloss, Jr. and J. Sharon. 1992. A comparison of GK1.5 and chimeric rat/mouse GK1.5 anti-CD4 antibodies for prolongation of skin allograft survival and suppression of alloantibody production in mice. J. Immunol. 148:1382.
- Sompuram, S.R. and J. Sharon. 1993. Verification of a model of a F(ab)-complex with phenylarsonate by oligonucleotide-directed mutagenesis. J. Immunol. 150:1822.
- Kao, C.-Y.Y. and J. Sharon. 1993. Chimeric antibodies with anti-dextran-derived complementarity-determining regions and anti p-azophenylarsonate-derived framework regions. J. Immunol. 151:1968.
- Jacobson, B.A., J. Sharon, H. Shan, M. Shlomchik, M.G. Weigert and A.Marshak-Rothstein. 1994. An isotype switched and somatically mutated rheumatoid factor clone isolated from a MRL-lpr/lpr mouse exhibits limited intraclonal affinity maturation. J. Immunol. 152:4499.
- Sarantopoulos, S., C.-Y.Y. Kao, W. Den and J. Sharon. 1994. A method for linking VL and VH region genes that allows bulk transfer between vectors for use in generating polyclonal IgG libraries. J. Immunol. 152:5344.
- Sompuram, S.R., Den, W., Sharon, J. 1996. Analysis of antigen binding and idiotypic expression by antibodies with polyglycine-replaced complementarity determining regions. J. Immunol. 156:1071-1081.To see additional publications by investigator click on any article and enter last name and initials in Query box.