Jacobson, Karen, M.D., M.P.H.
Medical School: Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore
Graduate School: Harvard School of Public Health, Boston
Residency training: Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven
Fellowship training: Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
Dr. Karen Jacobson is an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Section of Infectious Diseases, Boston University School of Medicine, with a secondary appointment in the Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health. Dr. Jacobson’s research focuses on the epidemiology of drug resistant tuberculosis, including identification of social, biological, and economic determinants of and risk factors for drug resistance and approaches for improving TB outcomes in resource-limited settings. Dr. Jacobson has established a highly productive collaboration with researchers at Stellenbosch University in Cape Town, South Africa, investigating the drivers of drug resistance in the Western Cape Province of South Africa and working to identify potentially modifiable factors.
- Jacobson KR, Murray K, Zellos A, Schwarz KB. An analysis of published trials of interferon monotherapy in children with chronic hepatitis C. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition 2002;34:52-58.
- Jacobson KR, Tierney DB, Jeon CY, Mitnick CD, Murray MB. Treatment outcomes among patients with extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010;51:6-14.
- Jacobson KR, Theron D, Victor TC, Streicher EM, Warren RM, Murray MB. Treatment outcomes of isoniazid-resistant tuberculosis patients, Western Cape Province, South Africa. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011;53:369-72.
- Mukinda FK, Theron D, van der Spuy GD, Jacobson KR, Roscher M, Streicher EM, Musekiwa A, Coetzee GJ, Victor TC, Marais BJ, Nachega J, Warren RM, Schaaf HS. Rise in rifampicin-monoresistant tuberculosis in Western Cape, South Africa. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2012;16:196-202.
- Jacobson KR, Theron D, Kendall EA, Franke MF, Barnard M, van Helden PD, Victor TC, Streicher EM, Murray MB, Warren RM. Implementation of GenoType MTBDRplus reduces time to multidrug-resistant tuberculosis therapy initiation in South Africa. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2013;56:503-8.
- Farhat MR, Shapiro BJ, Kieser KJ, Sultana R, Jacobson KR, Victor TC, Warren RW, Streicher EM, Calver A, Sloutsky A, Kau D, Posey JE, Plikaytis B, Oggioni MR, Gardy JL, Johnston JC, Rodrigues M, Tang PKC, Kato-Maeda M, Kreiswirth B, Kurepina N, Borowski M, Muddukrishan B, Galagan J, Gagneux S, Birren B, Rubin EJ, Lander ES, Sabeti P, Murray M. Genomic analysis identifies targets of convergent positive selection in drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Nature Genetics 2013;45:1183-9.
- Nebenzahl-Guimaraes H**, Jacobson KR**, Farhat MR, Murray MB. Systematic review of allelic exchange experiments aimed at identifying mutations that confer drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2013 (Epub ahead of print) (**contributed equally)