Special Interest Groups at HARC IV
Pediatric Special Interest Group, Monday October 22, 1:00pm – 2:00pm
This session utilizes the multidisciplinary nature of this conference to discuss health literacy issues important to pediatric care. The presenting group will take a closer look at the issue of health-literacy related medication adherence barriers from two perspectives:
- Ed Cohen PharmD, FAPhA, a Walgreen’s pharmacist, will outline current pharmacist systems and practices and discuss barriers to medication education encountered by pharmacists. This will include a presentation of results from a collaborative study between pharmacists and pediatricians.
- Dr. Laura Shone, PhD will outline relevant current system level medication issues from a public policy perspective, and provide the framework for conceiving next step priorities and actions.
The session will conclude with a group discussion of the issues presented by the speakers. Attendees will be asked to provide information regarding current on-going policy initiatives, input on how to move forward on presented issues and potential next steps.
Nursing Special Interest Group, Monday October 22, 1:00pm – 2:00pm
PURPOSE: The Special Interest Group (SIG) for nursing research will be composed of self-selected nurses (or other attendees interested in the nursing profession) who share a passion and have the expertise for conducting research to improve health literacy across the US.
1. Recruit and enlist nurses (who have shown an interest in research, interventions, and policy as related to health literacy) to attend
HARC IV and participate in a planned event during the conference ultimately resulting in an established SIG for Nursing at HARC.
2. Establish three work groups of the SIG; a.) Patient Initiatives; b.) Provider Awareness; and c.) Curriculum for Schools of Nursing.
Policy will overlap with all three groups as initiatives and interventions are planned.
3. Conduct Round Table discussions. Attendees will share research study findings and or ideas he/she may have for future research.
Upon Completion of the HARC IV SIG for Nursing Research, the following objectives will be met:
- Identify which work group each participant wishes to be a part of (groups are not mutually exclusive)
- Identify 5-8 individuals who will serve as a leadership team for 2012-2013 for the purpose of:
- Establishing a timeline for frequent conference calls to further the agenda of each work group (either monthly or bi-monthly)
- Develop a strategic plan for both work groups with measurable goals for 2012-2013.
Measurement Special Interest Group, Tuesday October 23, 1:00pm – 2:00pm