Registrar Letter to Doctoral Students May 2013
TO: Doctoral Candidates for May 2013 Graduation
FROM: GMS Registrar
RE: Completion of Degree Requirements
DATE: Updated April 10, 2013
- It is the student’s responsibility to check that all degree requirements have been fulfilled.
Students should print their transcript from Student Link and review their academic record with their advisor to confirm that all degree requirements are satisfied.
- Missing requirements and/or incomplete grades must be corrected prior to submission of the final dissertation.
2. Dissertation Completion and Submission
- Prospectus Outline:
If you have not already submitted the Dissertation Outline Approval Page you should do so immediately. This form requires both your First and Second Reader’s signatures. Your First Reader must be a member of GMS. If your Second Reader is not a member of GMS you should submit a Special Service Appointment form along with the reader’s CV as soon as possible.
- Dissertation Abstract:
The PhD Dissertation Defense Abstract Form should be submitted to the GMS Office with one copy of the Dissertation Abstract (maximum of 350 words) at least three weeks in advance of the scheduled dissertation defense (no later than March 13th if planning to graduate in May). The Abstract must be in the exact format illustrated in the Research Guide for Writers of Theses and Dissertations. Prior to submission, the Abstract must have been reviewed and approved by your Major Professor, the Director of Graduate Studies, and the Department/Program Chairman.
- Dissertation Defense Date:
Once your Dissertation Abstract is approved by the GMS Registrar, the candidate may submit the Schedule of the Final Oral Examination for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy Form. The Oral Defense must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance. The last day to hold a Defense for May 2013 graduates is April 3, 2013.
- Dissertation Format Review:
To be eligible for format review, a student must be registered for the spring 2013 semester and have submitted a Diploma Application.
o Dissertation format review will begin March 11, 2013.
o Please submit a hard copy of your completed dissertation single-sided for review. Print your email, cell phone number and date on the top right hand side of the title page. After your dissertation has been reviewed, you will be notified by email for pick up. This usually takes 1-2 days. Dissertations for format review will not be accepted by email.
o Students working on their dissertation out of town should mail a hard copy of the dissertation for format review to the GMS office, ATTN: Millie Agosto. Call the office to confirm that the dissertation was received.
- Dissertation Submission
The final dissertation will be accepted beginning the week of March 18th by appointment only (contact Millie Agosto, email@example.com) or April 1st to 3rd from 9:00 AM-3:00 PM in order to
be considered for the May 2013 graduation.
- Submit 1 copy of the final dissertation on regular paper.
- Submit 2 copies of the Dissertation Reader Approval Pages on the required paper ( 20 lb, 25% cotton fiber, white and watermarked -available in the office).
- Submit 1 copy of the Title and Abstract pages on the required paper ( 20 lb, 25% cotton fiber, white and watermarked – available in the office) with original signatures on the Approval Pages.
- Submit the Mugar Library Catalog form (provided by the Registrar upon dissertation submission) and a money order for $115.00 made payable to BU (for binding).
- Optional: Submit a money order for $55.00 made payable to “ProQuest” (if plan to copyright).
- Optional: Complete the survey of Earned Doctorates (provided by the Registrar).
Please allow yourself reasonable time on the day of submission for completion of paper work and any last minute corrections. Students not able to meet the April 3rd deadline will be required to register for the summer II or fall 2013 semester and pay the continuing fee. Please notify the GMS Registrar as soon as possible if you will be postponing graduation. A new diploma application will need to be submitted for your future graduation date.
3. Future Plans/ Diploma Information
- Please notify the GMS Registrar of your future plans. This information will be kept confidential.
- Make sure you update your diploma information on Student Link.
- Please review the data you have restricted on the Student Link; Personal Tab, Directory Information option (www.bu.edu/link). If you wish your graduation information to be printed, please remove that restriction by Wednesday, March 13, 2013.
- Commencement exercises are held once a year in May. If you would like to attend in the May 18, 2013 Commencement ceremony, please visit the Commencement page on GMS website for additional information. All students should complete the PhD Commencement Preparation & Information Form whether they plan to attend commencement or not.
Best wishes as you progress towards the completion of your degree requirements. If you have already achieved this goal, Congratulations!