M.S. in Oral Health Sciences
The mission of the Oral Health Sciences (OHS) program is to prepare students as strong candidates for future admission to dental school and other health-related professions.
Through immersion in a rigorous graduate biomedical sciences curriculum, students develop essential critical thinking and research skills.
The program fosters an environment of high standards for professionalism, integrity and collegiality where students build upon their abilities to enable future success. For Fall 2016, the OHS program is expanding its class size to 35-40 due to a highly qualified applicant pool; to maintain this unique environment for students, two DMD courses will be offered in a blended live lecture and online streaming format (50:50).
As an Oral Health Sciences student, you will take courses offered through the Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BUGSDM) and the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS) at Boston University School of Medicine. Additional courses are available in a variety of disciplines including public health, bioethics, evidence based dentistry and clinical research.
Program Objectives aim to:
- Develop intellectual skills necessary for success in a rigorous dental school curriculum.
- Improve students’ overall academic credentials (through coursework, research and extracurricular experiences) to become a competitive dental school applicant and gain admission to a U.S. dental school.
- Demonstrate research and critical thinking skills through completing a novel Capstone or Thesis.
The M.S. program takes four semesters to complete. The majority of enrolled students complete the degree in one calendar year beginning classes in early August and competing the program the following July; this allows students to matriculate to dental school without taking an additional gap year.
- Students completing the program in 12 months will complete a Capstone over Summer I/II.
- Students wishing to spend an extra year earning valuable clinical and/or biomedical research experience or enrolling in additional coursework may choose to complete a thesis in Year 2 Fall/Spring.
The OHS Program was initiated in 2005 as a track within the well-established M.A. in Medical Sciences program. Since the OHS Program’s inception in 2005, nearly 180 students have completed the Program, 80% of whom have been accepted to the US dental schools. Due to the program’s success and increased recognition, the OHS track was approved as a new M.S. degree for 2013. The M.S. degree curriculum is very similar to the OHS track with one additional feature – the option to choose between a Capstone or Thesis under the guidance of faculty from BUGSDM and GMS.
- Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
- Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine
- Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
- Columbia University’s College of Dental Medicine
- Creighton University School of Dentistry
- East Carolina School of Dental Medicine
- Howard University
- Dalhousie University of Faculty of Dentistry
- Howard University College of Dentistry
- Marquette University School of Dentistry
- Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
- Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine
- New York University College of Dentistry
- Roseman College of Dental Medicine
- Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- University of California San Diego School of Dentistry
- University of Southern California, Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry
- University of California San Francisco School of Dentistry
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry
- University of Florida College of Dentistry
- University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
- University of Maryland College of Dental Surgery
- University of Michigan School of Dentistry
- University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
- University of Puerto Rico School of Dental Medicine
- University of Southern California School of Dentistry
- University of Washington School of Dentistry
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry
- Western University
For more Program information, please contact OHS Director Theresa A. Davies, Ph.D .
For general application questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org .