Masters of Science Program Overview
The Master of Science in Clinical Investigation [MSCI] is a rigorous program that meets the needs of health professionals engaged in the full-spectrum of patient-oriented research. This flexible degree program is designed for a variety of professionals including physicians who will plan and oversee translational research and clinical trials; research nurses; study coordinators; managers in clinical research and site management organizations (CROs and SROs); and professionals in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device industries.
The program consists of 3 components to fulfill the degree requirements:
- Minimum of 32 graduate credits — 18 “required” and 14 “elective”
- Clinical Investigation Practicum — Hands-on involvement in a clinical research project
- Thesis — clinical research conducted, analyzed, written, and presented by student
- Additional Information – Academic Policies
Program Options for Completion
The MSCI program can be completed on either a part-time or full-time basis depending on your goals and current situation. Most of the courses take place in the late afternoons or early evenings to account for those who work during the day.
A full-time student can complete his/her coursework in 4 semesters (including Summer Sessions I & II). Practicum and thesis components of the program should begin near completion of the coursework, and the time frame for finishing these components will be determined on a student-by-student basis by the Program Director or Assistant Director.
Part-time students must register for at least 4 but not more than 11 credits each academic semester until all course requirements are fulfilled.
We also allow the transfer of up to 2 MSCI courses (taken as a non-degree student) toward the MSCI degree. Learn more about the process of applying as a non-degree student here.
You may consider the following options to supplement your MS degree:
- Dual degree in MS Medical Sciences / MS in Clinical Investigation (MSMS/MSCI)
- Dual degree in Doctor of Medicine / MS in Clinical Investigation (MD/MSCI)