MAMS Summer 2013 Registration
General Instructions, Important Links and Forms, On-Line Registration Procedures, Additional Information, International Students, Completion of Graduate Study, Continuing Students with Courses, Continuing Students without Courses, Continuing Students Part-Time without Courses, Class Adjustment Guidelines, Adding a Course, Dropping a Course(s), Address Change, Payment, Billing and Health Insurance, Financing Options, Payment & Payment Deadlines, E-mail Communications, Address Changes/Forwarding Address, Withdrawing or Taking a Leave of Absence from the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences
- Prior to registering for classes, students must meet with their Advisor/Program director to discuss course selection for on-line registration. Some GMS courses are restricted from on-line registration. For these courses, students must submit a Registration Form which requires both the instructor and advisor signatures.
- A complete listing of all GMS courses and current Summer sessions 2013 courses can be found on the GMS website or can be accessed through the student link.
- Official registration and payment dates are posted.
- All registration forms can be found on the Current Student Forms page as well as below.
- Students may NOT register or audit courses in other colleges at the University
Register for Summer I – II 2013 courses on-line through Student Link .
- Current Course Offerings
- Calendar link for pertinent deadlines
- Student Forms
- Registration Form
- Certified Full Time (CFT) Form (for continuing students only)
- Class Adjustment Form (add/drop form)
- Withdrawal and Leave of Absence Form
To register online, students log into Student Link with their BU login name Kerberos password.
- Meet with advisor, discuss course selection for On-line Registration
- Obtain signatures on the Certified Full Time (CFT) Form, if applicable
- After registration is complete, verify schedule on Student Link as well as on Blackboard.
- Full‐time candidates may not register for more than 18 credits without written permission from the program director and academic advisor. If granted this permission, full‐time tuition charges will apply plus $1,325 per credit for each credit above 18 credits.
International Students: Please visit the ISSO site for additional information.
Completion of Graduate Study: All students in graduate study in the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences must register for two consecutive semesters prior to completion of their degree. All final documents, including the dissertation (if applicable), must be submitted during the last registered semester according to the deadlines on the graduation calendar, and will not be accepted unless all other coursework and requirements of the specific degree have been completed.
Continuing Students with Courses: Students continuing in a program but who are not registered for a full-time course load due to the completion of other degree requirements, such as research, must follow the registration guidelines above and meet with their advisor/program director to discuss course selection and obtain an Academic Advising Access code for on-line registration. A Certified Full-Time (CFT) Form must be submitted if registering for less than twelve credits of course work. This form must be signed by the student’s advisor and submitted as a hard copy to the GMS office Registrar. Students should indicate the type of independent work to be completed during the semester. Please note that specific details of objectives are required or the request may be denied. Visa regulations require that most International students maintain full-time status either by course registration or by certification.
Continuing Students without Courses: All students who are no longer taking coursework and are working on their dissertation, or other degree requirements, must register as a continuing student. Any student registered for continuing study full-time status (Summer I – GMS MS 985 A1) or Summer II – GMS MS 986 B1) must submit the Certified Full Time (CFT) Form only for registration. No additional registration forms are required. Students should indicate the type of independent work to be completed during the semester. Students should indicate the type of independent work to be completed during the semester. Please note that specific details of objectives are required or the request may be denied. Continuing student fees will apply. This form must be signed by the student’s advisor and submitted as a hard copy to the GMS office Registrar.
- Students may add a course via on-line registration or with the Class Adjustment Form for Summer I through May 28, 2013 and Summer II through July 8, 2013. Some GMS courses are restricted from on-line registration. For these courses, students must submit a Registration Form or a Class Adjustment Form with instructor and advisor signature.
- Students may drop a course via on-line registration following the approval of their advisor without academic penalty or a “W” grade for standard courses (Summer I by May 28, 2013 and Summer II by July 8, 2013.
- Students who choose to drop a course after the designated drop deadline must obtain both the instructor and advisor signatures, complete the Class Adjustment Form and will receive a “W” grade on their transcript. Drop without a (W) by June 13, 2013 for Summer I and July 25, 2013 for Summer II. After the deadlines students may not drop standard courses.
- To add or drop a non‐standard course, students should use Student Link to view pertinent add/drop deadlines because non‐standard classes have a customized drop schedule.
- Students should check their student account as they add and drop classes after the payment deadline and notify the GMS Registrar if their student status changes from part‐time (0‐11 credits) to full‐time (12‐18credits) (or vice-versa) in order to have their certification code corrected. A revised scholarship voucher must be submitted to the GMS Financial Aid Administrator (617-638-5216) inthe GMS office.
Financing Options: If additional loans are necessary it is important to register and apply early. Please visit the GMS website for Financing options, downloads & information.
Payment & Payment Deadlines: All students must be registered and settle their accounts prior to the 1st day of each summer term. Payments should be made to Boston University and can be sent to Student Accounting Services, 881 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215. Payment options for degree candidates are available at Student Accounting Services. All students are expected to use the Student Account Inquiry function on the Student Link to check the balance due on their student account.
E-mail Communications: All important GMS communications are e-mailed to the student’s BU e-mail account. It is important that students check their BU e-mail regularly. For those of students who wish to have their e-mail forwarded from their BU account to a different account, please be sure the e-mail forwarding is functioning correctly.
Address Changes/Forwarding Address: Students may change their address on Student Link.
A student Withdraws from a program when they officially drop ALL courses taken during the current semester and leave their program of study prior to completion of their degree.
A student requests a Leave of Absence (LOA) to take a period of time off prior to resuming and completing their program.
Students should discuss their situation with their advisor/program director and submit the Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form to the GMS Registrar. Students must return within one year of requesting a LOA to be reinstated without reapplying. Additional expansion of the rules governing leave of absences and withdrawal can be found here. Please follow the refund calendar for key dates.
Boston University does not permit a student to enroll simultaneously in more than one graduate program either within Boston University or at another institution, unless those programs have been previously approved by the Trustees of Boston University as a combined degree program.