PhD Prospective Students
The Division of Graduate Medical Sciences is located in a modern urban academic health center, Boston University Medical Center, which houses a world-class faculty with many established collaborations between clinical and basic science investigators. Our PhD programs offer the following:
- diverse curriculum options
- strong professional development training
- fully funded financial aid package including tuition, a competitive stipend and health insurance.
Students have the opportunity to choose one the following three paths for their doctoral education:
Direct Entry to 3 Departments & Programs
|Anatomy & Neurobiology|
BU-Wide Neuroscience Degree
|GPN: Graduate Program for Neuroscience|
First Year Umbrella Program
Additional programs of study
- The combined M.D. / Ph.D. Program is also available by applying jointly to GMS and BUSM.
- Combined Doctor of Optometry (OD) and Ph.D. degree is also available in conjunction with The New England College of Optometry (NECO).
- * A Vesalius “Certificate” is also available to Ph.D. students in the Anatomy and Neurobiology department.
Available Training Grants
Our students receive funding for training in specific areas including but not limited to: Addiction Science, Aging, Biomolecular Pharmacology, Cancer Biology, Cardiovascular Biology, Inflammation, Metabolism, Endocrinology and Obesity, Pathogenesis, Pulmonary Biology and Immunology. Additionally we have a robust mentorship program that emphasizes professional development and career opportunities.
If after reading our FAQ’s, you still have unanswered questions, please contact GMS Office of Admissions. If interested in the M.D./Ph.D. you may also contact Boston University School of Medicine’s Office of Admission.