Levine & Provost Scholarship
Ruth and Martin Levine Scholarship
The Ruth and Martin Levine Scholarship in Graduate Medical Sciences is made possible by the generous donation of Ruth R. Levine, PhD. Dr. Levine was the first Associate Dean of Graduate Medical Sciences and a faculty member at BUSM for many years. Given her own life experiences her wish was to allocate “income to provide annual scholarship awards to one or more graduate students enrolled in the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences, who have demonstrated excellent scholarship. Preference shall be given to female students who have reached their 30th birthday and are returning to academia after an interruption”.
Please provide a letter of nomination including why you think a student is deserving and return to Sherrill Ashe in the GMS office by July 15th. A committee will review the nominations and make a recommendation to me so that we can award these scholarships for the upcoming fall 2013 semester.
Ruth and Martin Levine Scholarship Guidelines
All departments and programs are welcome to submit a letter of nomination (electronic format preferred) to the Chair of the GMS Awards Committee, Dr. Barbara Schreiber, for the candidate that demonstrates excellent academic performance.
Award recipients will be selected by the GMS Awards Committee and the award amount will be based on available funding and number of nominations submitted for consideration. The scholarship account receives the interest the principal account earns annually which means available funding will vary year to year.
- The Ruth and Martin Levine Scholarship is a one-time award and distribution should include multiple semesters (exclude summer sessions). This award cannot be combined with other GMS scholarships unless approved by the Associate Provost.
- Nominee should show academic excellence and as a recipient, must continue to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), as dictated by the GMS Policies and Procedures. Failure to maintain SAP will result in withdrawal of remaining scholarship.
- This award can be given to a male or female however, preference shall be given to at least one female returning to academia after an extended absence and is of at least thirty years of age.
- The award can be used to cover tuition costs and living expenses.
- Note that this award may impact other financial aid eligibility.
This scholarship is meant to be used as a recruitment tool to attract elite candidates to our Master’s programs.
- Awards Committee will conviene for the first round of nominee considerations received in late February (exact date TBD)
- Chair of the GMS Awards Committee, Dr. Barbara Schreiber, will send an email to Program Directors confirming the nominees selected for the award and award amount. Chair will also send a notice of award, both electronic and through US mail, to the selected recipients.
- If all available funding is not awarded in first round of considerations, the Awards Committee will conviene a second time TBD for further nominee considerations.
Program Directors will be responsible for the following:
- Determine the award distribution and notify the GMS Financial Aid Office via the online scholarship distribution form of the details of funding from this award
- Notify recipient of award distribution and satisfactory academic progress requirements
- Send email confirmation to GMS Financial Aid Office regarding recipient’s Satisfactory Academic Progress status each semester.
GMS Provost Scholarship
The GMS Provost Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship for students who have demonstrated exceptional academic potential.