April 23, 2012
Present: Sonia Ananthakrishnan, Emelia Benjamin, Peter Cahn, Marjory Charlot, Michael Ieong, Jane Liebschutz, Matt Russell
|Faculty development grants
- More senior the applicant, the greater the burden to give back.
- Important for epidemiologists to retool
- How to recruit more PhD applicants? NP applicants?
- Peter Cahn will contact awardees
- Jane Liebschutz will consult with chair on deferred applicant
- Bring grants to Barbara Corkey’s attention. Have Isabel give a presentation.
- Add NP to committee membership. Peter Cahn will ask Kim Claude to join.
|Education pilot grants
- Put more details about kinds of projects, post examples. Have educational samples.
- How much in budget? $12,000 divided among 2-3 people. If goes well can ask for more funds.
- May take time for proposal quality to improve. Leverage money really well.
- Could be used to pay for simulation patients, OSCE.
- Online application helpful with prompts for each question.
- Reorder: Background, significance (why this is needed?), specific design, preliminary research (can include literature review).
- Add FAQ to explain application. Downloadable instruction manual for those who have not put together grant.
- Potential for scholarly products and/or external funding as an evaluation criteria
- Jane Liebschutz will provide links to training programs for similar grant program.
- Peter Cahn will create instruction manual.
- Peter Cahn will create online form to submit.
- Set deadline June 15. Can start projects July 1-October 1. Must be completed within 12 months of activation date.
- Sonia Ananthakrishnan will help publicize with education group. Send notice to clerkship directors.
- Peter Cahn will make clear eligibility is for DOM.
- Peter Cahn will make clear that multi-PI groups may apply. If so, must include a leadership plan. Can have collaborators outside DOM, but PIs must be in DOM.
- Offer CV boot camp at least twice a year. Implies there should be progress in your career. Efficient learning experience, very helpful.
- Can roll out in sections. Ask section chiefs to hold boot camp, perhaps combine sections.
- Career consult. Book a walk with anyone on the FDDC. Consultancy: someone articulates a problem, go around the table and each person gives feedback.
- Faculty Development seminar on training the Beeson model. Pilot in GIM meeting. Sign up in advance. Statement of safety-better to do with people outside your section.
- StrengthsFinder 2.0
- Peter Cahn will send link to consultancy literature with minutes.
- Buy for lending library: What Got You Here Won’t Get You There, StrengthsFinders
- Discuss next time: mentoring assistant professors.