DOM Career Investment Award Program
A) To ensure that clinician scientists have at least 75% protected time to enable them to effectively accomplish their research aims. B) To improve the career development grant (e.g. K) to independent grant (e.g. R) conversion rate in the Department of Medicine (DOM). c) To retain more clinician scientists in research.
Cover the gap between the faculty member’s direct support in the career development grant and 75% of her/his salary. Funds divided equally between departmental and section resources.
- A faculty member with primary appointment in the Department of Medicine
- Recipient of multi-year career development grant from NIH or professional society (K equivalent) with more than 12 months left to the end of the award cycle
- Individuals who have received start-up funds or other departmental salary support (e.g., Evans Junior Faculty Merit Award) may apply, however priority is given to those who have not received such funds. Individuals who have received other sources of DOM funding are eligible when their funding packages run out. The DOM oversight committee acknowledges that not all start up packages and support mechanisms are created equal; willingness to fund applicants will take into account the generosity of other support mechanisms. Individual assessments will be determined by the committee.
- To be eligible, sections must limit faculty member’s clinical effort to a maximum of 25% time.
- Sections agree to meet 50% of the monetary gap between 75% of a faculty member’s salary and the amount of salary support on the career development grant.
For complete information about the program, please click here.