April 4, 2012
When did transition start?
- When named as chiefs, but actual transition started in June 2011
- Schedule change started in December.
- Internal self transition happened when nominated.
Who is responsible for the transition?
- Sitting chiefs
- Program office (PD, APDs)
- Administrative staff
What should they provide?
- Operational details
- Knowledge base of people
- How to run a morning report
- Conflict management, how to deal with people, relationships
- Advocate for residents, staff
- Consult on cases
What worked last year?
- Coaching on morning report
- Share all e-mails with the group
- Treat everyone equally
- Put us on alert
- Smooth hand-off of people with issues
What could be more effective?
- Meet ahead of time
- Passing of the torch at Emelia’s house
- Start positive
- Personnel discussions
- Separate venting from productive discussions
- Use APDIM to help with transition
- Rotations in leadership for 3rd year residents
- Remember it’s a process
- Rising chiefs make the holiday schedule in 3rd year
- Split recruitment dinners among different cohorts of chiefs
|Leadership and management||