Education Pilot Grants
To apply for an education pilot grant, please click here.
The Department of Medicine is awarding grants to fund research in education.
- The grants will facilitate career advancement of educators by promoting academic scholarship and dissemination;
- The grants will enhance educator vitality and retention by fostering role diversity and career mastery;
- The resulting research findings will enhance the training of medical students, residents, fellows, graduate students, postdocs, or faculty at BUMC.
Clinician and scientist educators with primary faculty appointments in the Department of Medicine are eligible to request pilot funding for educational research once every two years. Teams are encouraged, including inter-disciplinary collaborations, as long as the principal investigator comes from the Department of Medicine.
Appropriate projects for funding include:
- Evaluation of pedagogical innovation
- Development of a curriculum
- Qualitative assessments of learning
- Integration of technology into teaching
- Test of mentoring models
- Assessment of educational needs
- Pilot work for educational studies
Department of Medicine may award up to $10,000 in funds per year. Applicants may request up to $6,000 per proposal. The funds may be applied to the cost of:
- Consultants (e.g. evaluators, statisticians, etc.)
- Supplies and small equipment
- Research assistants
- Compensation to research participants
- Transcription services
The Faculty Development and Diversity Committee will serve as the review committee for determining awardees. The committee will consult non-committee experts as needed. Applications will be scored based on the following criteria:
- Robust plan and timeline for scholarly products and national dissemination (for example, workshops, MedEd Portal, and journal articles)
- Project innovation
- Contribution to applicant’s career advancement
- Adequate methods and expertise to achieve the stated goals
- Significant educational benefits for students, trainees or faculty in the Department of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, and/or BU School of Medicine
- Potential for sustaining project following the year of grant support
The committee will provide written feedback to all applicants.
Each year’s grantees will form a learning community that will meet every two months from September through June to provide peer mentoring.
All awardees must submit a final report twelve months after activation of the grant.
Past Education Pilot Grants
For past education pilot grants, please click here.