January 25, 2011
Present: Tom Barber, Peter Cahn (recorder), Sharon Levine, Liz Klings, Dan Oates (chair), Matt Russell
I. Safe Space program
- GLSEN sponsors a Safe Space program for LGBT allies on campus. By displaying the sticker on their offices, faculty signal that they have received training in LGBT issues.
- The curriculum is geared to high schools. How can we modify for the needs of a medical campus?
- Possible resources: LGBT office at MIT, Calvin Chou at American Academy on Communication in Healthcare
- Aim for a session in May from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. with RSVPs.
- Invite: residency and fellowship program directors, deans, course directors, Academy of Advisers, or their delegates
- Must pitch training to a sophisticated audience. Explain jargon and include role plays and interactive exercises.
III. Train the trainers
- A core group of trainers drawing from LGBT faculty, Francine Montemurro, and the BUSM Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Trainers will package a curriculum pitched at the right level
- Action: Peter Cahn will prepare a menu of exercises to include in the curriculum. Group will review and discuss at next meeting.
Next meeting: Tuesday, February 22 at 4:00 p.m. in Evans 118