August 30, 2011
Present: Tom Barber, Peter Cahn, Doug Hughes, Michael Ieong, Matt Russell
I. Safe Space Training
- While helpful, some of the information assumed a less experienced audience
- Important to create awareness of diversity and a nonjudgmental environment
- Agreement to hold it again. Consider podcasting.
II. LGBT conversation
- Open forum should happen more frequently; normalizes the discussion
- Format stilted, overly controlled
- Revealed interaction between minority groups
III. Future directions
- Create a traveling show in the departmental grand rounds slot.
- Keep it interactive, informal. Create a panel that includes member of department targeted.
- Attract audience of unconverted by offering risk management CME credit.
- Start with DOM, which will make it easier to sell to other departments.
- Look for opportunities to engage other hospital staff as they seek to change the work environment.
- Create quarterly social spaces with food for open conversation