The Serchuck Award is given annually at the Medical Student Summer Research
Symposium for outstanding research posters created by medical students at Boston
University School of Medicine. Students who display posters are part of the
Medical Student Summer
Research Program that awards scholarships to students to undertake research
at Boston University Medical Center (BUMC).
The award honors Jerry Serchuck, one of the longtime donors to the Medical
Student Summer Research Program. Mr. Serchuck has given generously to the research
program from its official establishment in 2000 when fifteen class-of-2003 students
undertook research in various BUMC departments. The program continues to flourish
as a direct result of his initial contribution and ongoing support. The first
Serchuck Award was given in 2007.
||Award categories are:
|Best Poster Categories:
- Best basic science poster
- Best clinical science poster
- Best medical education poster
- Best quality improvement (QI) poster
|Honorable Mention Categories:
- Honorable mention (basic science poster)
- Honorable mention (clinical science poster)
- Honorable mention (medical education poster)
- Honorable mention quality improvement (QI) poster
Directory of Serchuck Awards
The following poster presentations earned the Serchuck Award.
|Best Basic Science Poster
|Best Clinical Science Poster
- Department of Ob/Gyn: What
is the effect of testosterone therapy on the endometrium in transgender
men?, Ivy Gardner, 2014.
- Department of Radiology-Radiation Oncology: The
impact of race, primary language, marital status, and insurance type
on mortality in breast and prostate cancer patients, Divya Ahuja,
- Section of General Internal Medicine: Postpartum
changes in methadone dose among women in methadone maintenance treatment,
Leah Kaminetzky, 2012.
- Department of Neurology: Long
Term Psychological Impact of Alzheimer’s Disease Genetic Risk Disclosure,
Stephen Alerhand, 2011.
|Best QI Poster
|Best Medical Education Poster
|Honorable Mentions – Basic Science Poster
- Department of Medicine & Ophthalmology: High
Glucose Induces Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Retinal Muller Cells: Implications
for Diabetic Retinopathy, Thomas Tien, 2014.
- Department of Medicine & Ophthalmology: Connexin
43 (Cx43) Upregulation Protects Retinal Endothelial Cells Against High
Glucose Insult, Kevin Barrette, 2013.
- Department of Radiology Oncology: Reliability
of In vivo FDG metabolic tumor volume and pathological volume, Praveen
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery: Mechanism
of Obesity-Related Osteoporosis in the Absence of Insulin Resistance,
Danielle Salazar, 2012.
- Department of Medicine-Cancer Center: Exploration
of a Combination Therapy on Breast Cancer Cells by HDAC Inhibitors and
Calpain Inhibitor, Amrita Devalapalli, 2011.
|Honorable Mentions – Clinical Science Poster
- Department of Neurology: Ehlers-Danlos
syndrome and postural tachycardia syndrome: a relationship study,
Daniel Wallman, 2014.
- Department of Emergency Medicine: Evaluation
of Patient Understanding of Emergency Department Discharge Instructions:
Use of a Scale to Assess Self Efficacy to Carry Out Discharge Instructions,
Luke Stevens, 2013.
- Department of Neurosurgery: A
Subconcussive Load Effect & Trauma Profile for Chronic Traumatic
Encephalopathy: A Meta-analysis of New Trends, Philip Montenigro,
- Department of Medicine-Section of Vascular Biology: Functional
Impairment Predicts Cardiac & Peripheral Vascular Events in Patients
with Peripheral Artery Disease, Farhana Sharmeen, 2012.
- Deparment of Surgery: Role
of Oxidative Stress and Substance P in the Formation of Intra-abdominal
Adhesions, Jacob Wood, 2011.
|Honorable Mention – QI Poster
|Honorable Mentions – Medical Education Poster